DO I NEED BRACES? **pictures** ADVICE NEEDED

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

farleyjd

DO I NEED BRACES? **pictures** ADVICE NEEDED

#1 Post by farleyjd »

hey guys! i need some advice. ive been quoted for $5950, $5380, and $4500 for braces...i dont think my teeth are that bad for those prices to be so high so take a look at my pictures and tell em if they sound about right..im starting to get discouraged..

this picture makes me want to cry so bad....

:/

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

The fact that you had three consultations, and are on a adultbraces forum, to me, is good indication that your teeth bother you enough to the point where yes, you should get braces, ha. That being said, the prices quoted for you seem very common, assuming that you are in the U.S. The only way the price would be significantly lowered would be if you were to only brace one arch, which, for most cases, is not recommended. Your teeth aren't bad at all though, so you shouldn't be in braces for too long ( I would think anyways), so I say go for it!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

hank hill

#3 Post by hank hill »

If you think you need braces then go for it. I was told by many that my teeth werent that bad to get braces but i just didnt like smiling because i though my teeth were bad. Now im happier with braces.

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

It looks like your bite is off a little on the left side and my untrained eye also sees a little discrepancy in your midline. The right side looks good and other than that, like Meryaten said, your issues look to be mostly cosmetic.

My treatment was for an overjet and crowding and came in at $4700 that included the discount for paying cash up front...I think it was about $350 discount. Which would have been $5150. Your quote isn't out of line. There is a basic cost just for the equipment and professional expertise then add on complexities of the treatment and so on.

Don't get too emotional about your pictures, your teeth are nice! Seeing them all huge on your computer and with the cheek spreaders in is a bit freaky, but we get used to looking at these pix as we go through treatment, so don't fret!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

cersepn

#5 Post by cersepn »

Sorry to say this, but how bad your teeth currently is doesn't affect the price.. same goes for how good it is.
Your teeth don't look too bad and you have a gorgeous profile, i like it, it's really feminine.
Ultimately it's whether you want a nicer smile and you'll probably get a better bite as well

UGHBRACES

#6 Post by UGHBRACES »

You don't need braces, but i can see why you may want them. Its up to you if its worth it. For me i only have cosmetic problems as well, its costing me $5600 for self ligating.

Many people on here profess that you can achieve the same results with old school braces as you can with self ligating, but hey you can also achieve the same results with a rock as you can with a hammer. But i'd still rather use a hammer!

farleyjd

#7 Post by farleyjd »

i hate that last picture because it makes me front teeth look disgusting and bucked... :/ but yea i do have a bite problem. i have TMJ and my jaw pops several times..and im only 18. ive been told overtime with all the pressure from grinding at night and where my bite is off..my teeth will start to break off so braces would be a big help with that for the long run..plus perfect teeth =] if u can look in my pictures of my smile i have what u would call the "six tooth smile" because of my narrow upper arch (which is bent in because of a thumb habit when i was little) that bugs me alot too.

does anyone know if theres such things as getting grants for braces lol? im in college and tight on money as is...

and not to mention i have very little credit so i get turned down for financing :/

Megan11

#8 Post by Megan11 »

farleyjd wrote:does anyone know if theres such things as getting grants for braces lol? im in college and tight on money as is...

pahhhh, I wish. College or not, a 4-6 thousand dollar payment is hurting most. Try talking to your ortho or the financial coordinator, I scored some sympathy points and am paying the adolescent price :-9, which is about 500$ cheaper, and they mainly did that because they know I am young and paying for this by myself.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

retsac

#9 Post by retsac »

hey, you have a similar smile to me!

I have been to the ortho recently too, so I would say that in my own experience that if you are looking at Ortho's etc then you are wanting braces either for dental treatment or cosmetic. But either way you want braces to make you happier about your smile! And is that not ultimately the end goal?!

Unfortunately its always gonna cost what it costs! Be great to hear what your going to do next, but ignore peoples negative comments here, do what will make u happier in the end! :wink:

farleyjd

#10 Post by farleyjd »

meryaten, im not going to compare my teeth with that of others on here. all of us have the same problem no matter how bad our teeth are. im not doing this for cosmetic purposes only as u seem to imple with the "hollywood perfection" comment. i have severe jaw problems that need to be addressed as well because i get headaches every night and my jaw locks open when i eat. i know im not perfect. ppl tell me i have a natural smile and i dont mind that actually...but i need help medically with my teeth, not only cosmetically too...dont think im trying to attack you im just trying to help you understand my case in particular. we all have things we're self-conscious about and this is mine.

farleyjd

#11 Post by farleyjd »

retsac! ive been looking for ppl who have my similar smile and i cant seem to find any here! once i get braces here in a few months hopefully Ill definantely post as many pictures and detailed updates as possible for you =] do u have braces? cuz i would love to see pictures of ur case as well since ur similar to mine.

ssfw

#12 Post by ssfw »

Hi farleyjd,

I think your teeth look nice and you have a beautiful smile.

From experience, and years of delay on proceeding to get braces, I knew I wan't completely satisfied of how my teeth looked. Then one day, I told myself it's now or never. I am so glad I made the decision to get braces. If you are not completely happy with how your teeth look, it will be in the back of your mind forever or at least it was for me.

A few things to think about is what the orthodontist said of how your teeth are - will his/her opinion of getting braces correct the problem(s) you are concerned with. If not, be sure to inform the orthodontist of your main reason(s) for wanting to get braces. I did this and I told my orthodontist that I wanted to reduce the protrusion of my upper front teeth (overjet) - my overjet was 5 mm. He had also said I had a cross bite on one side and a few other correction he could make if I did decide to get braces.

Be sure to get multiple consultations. I got 4 consultatons. This will also give you an opportinity to see which orthodontist/staff you feel most comfortable with. One thought in regards to cost, ask them about an installment plan that may work for you.

By the way, you were so lucky to get your photos, etc. via e-mail/internet. I wish my orhtodontist's office did that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

retsac

#13 Post by retsac »

Meryaten, although I am sure that you dont mean it, your posts sometimes come across like your being condescending. Not saying that you mean it but I have seen a couple of your posts that have caused people upset.

Please dont take offence at this its just an observation.

retsac

#14 Post by retsac »

Meryaten wrote:So what do you want me to do? Stop posting? Because I am certainly not just going to cheer-lead and just tell people only what they want to hear - that would be totally disingenuous.
No just stop and think a little about the way a post may come across, like I said there have been a few posts that you have made that have come across is a negative tone.

farleyjd

#15 Post by farleyjd »

"But if that picture is honestly enough to make you cry then you might need help beyond that of an orthodontist"

sesame. dont think i wont defend myself. get a life.