Question for you braces savvy folks ;-)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GiovanntiLawing

Question for you braces savvy folks ;-)

#1 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Hi all,

I apologize for being away for a little bit as it's been "deadine and review evaluation season" at work!! Now that the tough part of the year is out of the way, I'M BACK!! Just incase you are wondering, both went very well!!

I do, however, have some questions for you all, and maybe you can help shed some light on my questions. I asked my ortho, and he gave me these answers that kinda made sense, but I didn't want to feel like a rocket scientist asking him more redundant questions.

So here goes:

These new nickel-titanium wires that are being used on me supposedly does not get changed. I didn't know this until I asked, but what and how does bends in the wire re-shape my teeth? I asked, well if you dont change them, how will my teeth move? Aren't you suppose to use thicker wires at some point. He said No!

REMEMBER: Ive had braces before almost 11 years ago, so I had the kind where wires needed to be changed. Not this go around, supposedly...

At my last adjustment, I was so curious as to why he has never changed my wires, and he explain to me that these particular wires "can last forever." Then, the Ortho also stated that, it's a memory wire and it just goes back to it's initial state. So my question to him was, "if the wire is shoved into a bracket and held in place, how do you know if its back to the initial state?" He looked at me like an idiot, so thats when I stopped asking questions. LOL. Im not an ortho so how am I suppose to know?? I can't help but ask questions if im curious, but I don't like to be looked at like a dumbass either.

So, i figured it would be a little bit easier to ask you all in a discussuon board, rather than face to face, since I wont be able to get an idiotic facial expression from you guys like "you rocket scientist, this is why"...haha

Also, my next question....should I be worried if I don't think my teeth will be as beautiful as I think HE thinks they will be? I only ask this because I do know some people who have had braces, and it just looks like didnt get an OUTSTANDING result. Yes, their teeth are straight, but I want HOLLYWOOD straight teeth like I want mine to be. How can I ask my orthodontist "are my teeth going to be HOLLYWOOD perfect?" without insulting him or his work?

I just ask this because my co worker (who is also an adult) got braces 3 years ago, they just came off and her teeth literally looks kinda the same to me. They are aligned, and her bite is probably way better, but in terms of the visual...her teeth looks almost the same to me. I'm going for a drastic difference...and I don't really know if im going to see it because it doesn't look like they are shapin up to be OUTSTANDING as of yet...Keep in mind I still have a year and a half of treatment left.

Anyone opinions, advice, or knowledge would be appreciated.

And I hope this all makes sense!

Thank you kindly!

Visit my blog!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi

great post !
Meryaten once more wrote wise words. Now, I fear I have to disappoint you a bit.
I mean, to have the Hollywood smile, not only do you need to have perfect teeth
in a perfect condition. You also need teeth that are shaped perfectly too. And this
is the reason why orthodontics not always can create such a perfect Hollywood
smile, simply because most people have teeth with a shape less than perfect. So,
orthodontics line them up well, make a good bite, but after all is said and done,
they are still your teeth. It all depends on the shape in every dimension of each
tooth. Now, I can understand the need for Hollywood smiles. Especially when in
close-ups the teeth are sometimes magnified massively on the movie screen or
the high definition big LCD screens we do have today. So, this sets the level of
perfection so high that nature alone most often can't reach it. No wonder why
most Hollywood smiles are fake, eh, I mean, helped a bit. So, I fear if you aim
for such a perfection, I think with orthodontics alone you have a great chance
of being a bit disillusioned afterwards. But who knows, since there are here a
lot of members who present us absolutely awesome smiles when done, maybe
you'll be lucky too.

I liked your question about memory wires. Questioning things makes someone
think more deeply which sometimes leads to great inventions or improvements.
I think it is a good thing, the curious mind. But yes, not all think that way. Your
ortho probably doesn't. But that causes on its turn a very interesting "tension"
between different minds ...