'Worst' food you've been offered

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TigerLily

'Worst' food you've been offered

#1 Post by TigerLily »

Yesterday..one of my staff offered me some chewing gum...
today, another offered me a lollipop..
then my husband came back from a business trip with the duty free present of the biggest bar of..... Toblerone!

Grrrr...!

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

Dude I would so melt the Toblerone over ice cream!!! Or let it melt on your tongue! The tiny little pieces of almond in there should be okay, right?
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

TigerLily

#3 Post by TigerLily »

ROFL.

I must admit I did think I will melt it.

ArchAngle

#4 Post by ArchAngle »

The worst food so far for me (offered or not), decent Caesar salad. Wow, braces are like a magnet for it, biggest mess possible on the planet :shock:

Tin Indian

#5 Post by Tin Indian »

What is Toblerone?
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

reckoner

#6 Post by reckoner »

Tin Indian wrote:What is Toblerone?
The greatest chocolate in the world!

Ever since I got my braces on, I've been seeing corn on the cob EVERYWHERE. I was offered some just last week! I don't think anyone has ever offered me it before I had braces on, it's like they know... :roll:
I could probably cut it off the cob and eat it that way, but it's just not the same. Corn is going to be the very first food I have once the braces are gone.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#7 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ArchAngle wrote:The worst food so far for me (offered or not), decent Caesar salad. Wow, braces are like a magnet for it, biggest mess possible on the planet :shock:
omg i totally agree with you there. the salad likes to get stuck inbetween the wires and the ceaser dressing really doens't help that much, just seems to make it that much sticker and gooey. I love ceasar salad, I actually try and have salad or some sort of veggie for supper every night. Salad was really hard in the beginning and it was driving me crazy cuz i'm such a huge fan of salad. Now its a bit easier to eat it although its definetly a pain to clean up afterwards
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

CactusZAF

#8 Post by CactusZAF »

My Boss and one of my colleagues insist on buying biltong (beef jerky) and dried sausage (a traditional local delicacy for any occasion), and to make it worse they specially buy chillie bites for me. My ortho warned me not to eat these things when I got braced as they are really likely to dislodge brackets and are also the kind of thing that gets wedged in every which gap.

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

My husband was going to the shop yesterday and I asked him to bring me back some chocolate as I hadn't had any for a while. He brought me back........a Snickers bar! About the worst thing possible, packed with forbidden peanuts and gooey toffee. I managed to eat it, but then spent 1/2 hour picking bits of peanut out of my wires and lumps of toffee from under my nance. The extensive clean-up job kind of spoiled any chocolate-related pleasure I might have had from eating it.

That'll teach me to go and get my own chocolate next time. :D

crazybeautiful

#10 Post by crazybeautiful »

A Boost bar. Good for my health though, that I can't eat them :roll:
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Audra

#11 Post by Audra »

Oh no. I don't have my braces yet.

But I never thought about the caesar salad thing. Wow, I am SO glad I found this board.

sksk11

#12 Post by sksk11 »

Ditto the above! - I'm not in braces yet, but am hoping to be within the next 2-3 months, and I'm gutted about the amount of 'forbidden' foods there seem to be!

Firstly I have the biggest sweet tooth ever, so trying to steer clear of sweets etc is going to be very hard for me. I'm not too fussed about fizzy drinks though, so that's not so much of a problem.

Caramel, chewy things, corn on the cob - boo hoo hoo :-(( I also think I will start with clear ligs just to get used to the look, but that means being cautious around curries etc, and I presume spaghetti bolognaise also carries the risk of staining ligs due to it's redness.

I'm trying to be philosophical about the whole thing - my grandma had diabetes, and now so does my mum, so it won't really do me any harm to cut back on my sugar intake.

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley »

Corn on the cob is fine to eat just like meat off their bones, you just have to be careful. Don't go chomping away like you're a jack hammer or something. Eat slowly and bite gently. I like to eat my corn on the cob row by row and clean up is minimal. I like being offered caramel apples with toffee and chopped almonds drizzled in chocolate. Seriously, how am I supposed to bite into that?????? Cutting it up is not the same.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

TigerLily

#14 Post by TigerLily »

Snickers..? Caramel apples...?? :roll: ROFL :lol:

I had a bit of the Toblerone in the end - just looking at it made my teeth hurt but I has a tiny bit using one corner of my mouth then moved across to my molars...but god it was so hard. It hurt.

loulou123

#15 Post by loulou123 »

Not that im necessary recommending it, but ive eaten most of that stuff in braces, some things are a HUGE pain to clean up after, but thats all.

Ive eaten snickers (mmm!) popcorn, toffee apples (tho i did cut those into chunks), gum etc.

Salad is a HUGE pain to clean up after, but you can eat it, and spaghetti bolognaise, lasagne etc can stain ligs, so the choice there is up to you.

Theres really nothing you cant eat as long as your careful :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/