Pressure on the teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Momo

Pressure on the teeth

#1 Post by Momo »

Hi everyone.

I've had my braces on for nearly 1 week now and have a query.

Are you supposed to feel continued pressure on your teeth that need moving or will the pressure gradually ease.

The teeth on my left still have fair bit of pressure and are quite tender compared to the opposite side which have hardly any pressure, is that normal?

My 1st adjusment is 7 weeks from now and I don't want to be sitting around and then find out that the wires need tightening.

Thanks in advance

Pixel Witch

#2 Post by Pixel Witch »

I think its normal. I usually have a ton of pressure which tapers off, and then pressure alternates as the wire does its job. By the time of my next adjustment, it has usually tapered off completely, and we start again with the pressure :D

Kaylie

#3 Post by Kaylie »

no you should feel pressur for 2 weeks then it eases off and usualy you will see a noticable diffrence in your teeth . ever now and a gain i get a feeling of pressure on a odd tooth for a day .but not feeling pressure dosent mean its not working. xx

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Kaylie wrote:no you should feel pressur for 2 weeks then it eases off
I have to step in here and make sure that people don't think that pressure is the same for everyone. It almost sounds like there is a rule book stating this...feel it for 2 weeks then it eases off...

Sometimes I had pressure for a month, other times for an hour. It is VERY individual and also majorly influenced by the type of wire being used and the tooth movement that is being achieved.

What you are experiencing is quite normal.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Momo

#5 Post by Momo »

Thank you very much for all your advice/answers.

Jennielee! funnily enough my teeth are currently positioned very similar to the way yours used to be. And congrats on the great results, gives me a lot of inspiration.

I keep on promising to post some pics but haven't managed to get round it yet mainly because my digital camera is out of order and my phone cam is not that good.

SuperDave

#6 Post by SuperDave »

i guess i feel the pressure like all the time as opposed to not having braces. but as a general rule for me....after adjustment...sore for 3 days then just fine.

does that make sense? everything is always tight, nature of having braces...but only sore for 3 days or so after a visit. maybe just me. lol.

SuperDave
braced 1981-1983 all metal
braced again 8-30-2007
ceramic on top, metal on bottom
started rubber bands single triangle pattern 1-08
started double trinangle pattern 3-08 (yes 4 of them 2 each side) !!!!
power chains on top 6-12-08
still double triangle. geez!
top ceramics changed to metal april 01, 2009
may 14, 2009,....finally no rubber bands
(well for now anyway)

next apptmt. is july 8th, 2009 2:00pm

ArchAngle

#7 Post by ArchAngle »

A lot of the wires are heat-activated. Once heated they expand or try to return to the shape of the arch. Getting them cooled will reduce that. You can feel that walking outdoors in winter (if you're in a cold climate) to the store, breathing through your mouth, entering the store and warming up, it feels like you just had an adjustment. Even a sauna or hot tub, or drinking coffee you should feel it at work, so it may feel like pressure all the time based on your activities.