Confession time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dawna

Confession time

#1 Post by Dawna »

Just for fun - what was your worst 'transgression' while wearing braces?

Just wondering, as tonight I ate a Cadbury's Curly Wurly :shock: I hardly chewed it, just tried to kind melt it on the roof of my mouth but still....

So -let's hear your worst crimes!

tazzle

#2 Post by tazzle »

crusty bread.... broke a bracket off :roll:

[/url]

ImageImage

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Soy nuts - I took a handful and was having fun until I broke a bracket.

Whole almonds - didn't break a bracket

Caramel - drank tons of water hoping it rinsed some of it out

Snickers bar - told the ortho assistant I was planning on eating it after the appointment

Baby back ribs - Off the bone!!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

An apple in WHOLE not cut :) NO problems with braces afterwards either!

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ohmyjaw

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

Popcorn - I did it several times. Never had any problems, just had to floss really well to get the bits out.

Arvensis

#6 Post by Arvensis »

I'm eating chips RIGHT NOW!!!

Yeah. Literally right now. Mmmm Sunchips.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

Tin Indian

#7 Post by Tin Indian »

I have to admit :oops: that sinced being braced my menu has not changed. Maybe the way I eat a few items has but not what I eat. Most of the things I crave to eat are on the no-no list like popcorn, nuts and carame apples are the worst offenders but I DO eat all of them carefully .
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

kaycee

#8 Post by kaycee »

I bit into an Oreo cookie (okay, more than one). Nothing happened to my brackets, but it was painful to bite into the cookie. Now I break them up into smaller pieces.

I will admit I've been fairly good, fairly tempted, but fairly good.

Kaycee

melliemoo

#9 Post by melliemoo »

Caramel---I completely forgot I shouldn't eat it and it was in my mouth before I knew what I was really doing....really, I swear! I just let it kinda melt and then I gulped it down.

loulou123

#10 Post by loulou123 »

Think ive properly eaten almost everything on the "dont" list :lol:

My favourite disaster tho, was eating pringles and broke my archwire, went to orthos, confessed all and had it replaced, then that evening thought id eat a few more, but carefully and broke it for a 2nd time :oops: The ortho wasnt all that impressed with me.

That was in the early days tho, where the archwire is weaker and havent managed any more damage!

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Faerydust

#11 Post by Faerydust »

It's easy for me to be a good because I didn't eat most of the no-no foods even before braces.

So far I've only chewed gum and eaten popcorn. No damage yet, but it is still too early in my journey. :twisted:
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

cally

#12 Post by cally »

There's really nothing that should be "avoided" altogether if you're careful. In fact, my ortho said as much--those "rules" are mainly for the teens, who are, as a whole, less careful than the adult patients. If you can eat something without pain--go for it.

cally

#13 Post by cally »

MamaRoo

#14 Post by MamaRoo »

I wasn't told of a no-no list of things that I couldn't eat... my Ortho even reccomended chewing sugarless gum as it helps with getting used to changes more quickly... I have not changed my eating habits in anyway due to braces...

jgrrl22

#15 Post by jgrrl22 »

About a week ago I was eating some cheddar Munchies. The kind with pretzels, quaker squares, cheeze-its, etc. in it. I knew I shouldn't be eating it, but I was being careful to chew everything slowly.

I bit into a quaker square and thought "Oh god, I think I broke something!" I ran to the mirror to check, and luckily, nothing had broken... I just had a big piece wedged between my back molar and archwire. Once I got it out, I threw the rest away and haven't had them since. :(

They're pretty much my favorite snack, but after that scare I've decided to lay off of them until after my braces come off.