IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

26withbraces

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#811 Post by 26withbraces »

Hi, I had my impacted canine exposure surgery on April 21st 2017 ánd them my braces fitted 4th may, they only put a button on the exposed canine but not a chain.
From what I've read people get the braces first then surgery and a chain added then, seems mine ha's been done the other way round! Has anyone has this done? I want my chain on now as my teeth are straight it's just the one impacted tooth and I feel at the moment the braces are pointless!

Shelleyt

#812 Post by Shelleyt »

26withbraces - when you had your procedure did they cut away the gums and leave the impacted tooth exposed (as in can you see it) or did they attach the button to your tooth and then stitch the gums back down over it? It sounds like the former, whereas I think the chain is most commonly used when the latter technique is used. I don't believe one is necessarily quicker than the other. In fact, what is actually pulling my tooth up is a rubber band which is tied through the top link of the chain and my wire. So in both cases it is actually a rubber band actually doing the "pulling"

26withbraces

#813 Post by 26withbraces »

Hi, yes they cut away the gum/bone and left it exposed.
When i got my braces I expected them to attach something to the brace but they just put a small (what they call button) on it and left it like that. Will the gum not grow over the gold button before my next appointment? They didn't really explain much and with me being me I didn't think to ask untill I left! With everyone having the brace first then surgery and chain attached I'm worried my ortho is doing something different. I will be sure to ask everything at my next appointment hate wondering what's what. :)

Shelleyt

#814 Post by Shelleyt »

I would ask your ortho but if they intended to leave the button exposed, then your gum shouldn't grow over. There are two ways to do the procedure and one involves covering up the button (or bracket) and then pulling up with the chain/elastic, and one leaves the button uncovered and places the elastic on the uncovered button rather than using a chain. They may be waiting for proper space to be made in your arch before they start pulling it into place.

For everyone who has/had an impacted canine and used a chain to pull it up, how many links did you start with? I started with either 10 or 11 and am on 8 now. It's very very deep below the surface of my gums (lower impacted canine) but there is at least space for it to come up. While it doesn't need to be pulled over (it's directly below the space), it is rotated 90 degrees completely the wrong way

bracesat41

#815 Post by bracesat41 »

ok. Braces going on June 2, with 2 baby canines coming out at the same time. The following week June 9 - I go to have both my upper (inside) canines exposed and a button and chain put on. Very scared... and I'm 41! :( Hoping it all goes well. I should have done it when I was younger, but I was too scared, now I'm doing it because the baby teeth are not feeling as solid as they did and just want to have real teeth when I'm super old! I'm so worried about the pain and bleeding of the exposure.

bracesat41

#816 Post by bracesat41 »

[quote="Lorimac"]Just had my exposure done 2 days ago so I'm here to read about your journeys. I'm a little afraid of how much it will hurt to get tension put on to pull the tooth down....surgery sucked but I'm excited to have a proper even smile. I've been in braces for just about a year now. ...I'm hoping my tooth comes down fairly easily and quickly. ...so done with this whole process. How long was it before most of you saw movement?
Hi I'm Lori! 41 from Canada[/quote]

Hi Lori! I'm 41 from Canada too! Ugh.. same boat as you -- doing this way later in life!! How was your exposure? I know I'm going to the best guy in Vancouver, but still super scared! I'm actually doing the sedation because I don't want to feel anything!.

strinder

#817 Post by strinder »

Hey there!

I'm pleased to join this club! I went to the orthodontist to look at closing the spaces in my mouth and hope to get Invisalign and it was revealed I've got an impacted canine! I actually went in to work later that day and there were two people there who had baby teeth as well?!

UltraViolet

#818 Post by UltraViolet »

Whimsical good luck to you!

I just came from an adjustment and I honestly don't know what to do. They say my gum is too thick for the tooth to break through so I will be giving it 6 weeks to move and if it doesn't we will cut off something for it to find it's way :ThumbsDown: Sounds painful but if it helps what can I do?

Nothing.

:-+
TickerFactory.com

lish

#819 Post by lish »

From my xray on the 12th May it shows tooth has moved and less bone covering the crown so i just hope mine also breaks through gum soon. Next appointment is 3rd June

bi167

#820 Post by bi167 »

Count me in too.
i also have one impacted canine rotated and vertical. They will try to bring it out via surgery and chain. Pls keep posting. we all want to know all the details which would help. Thanks

Shelleyt

#821 Post by Shelleyt »

Two links of chain down in 9 days. Still a long way to go. My ortho has been seeing me every 9-14 days.

lish

#822 Post by lish »

Shelley

Do you have xrays of your impacted canine?

bracesat41

#823 Post by bracesat41 »

So Friday is the day for the braces.. and they are pulling the two baby teeth, then next week the exposures. I seem to be doing it all at once, where as many of you had the braces for a year then the exposures. I wonder why?

strinder

#824 Post by strinder »

Hi everyone,

I've had my braces on for a just coming up to two weeks. All of my initial braces pain has all gone away. However, today I've started getting quite bad pain on my baby tooth and it's touching a tooth on my bottom arch which I hadn't noticed before. Has anyone experienced this pain before? I'm worried my tooth might fall out before I'm ready to have my surgery (this is based on absolutely no dental knowledge).

Just someone having experienced this pain would be a massive reassurance.

bracesat41

#825 Post by bracesat41 »

So braces went on Friday. 2 baby teeth pulled and thank goodness I was so frozen and didn't feel it. Still sucks having a mouth full of metal. Ugh.