IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelleyt

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#886 Post by Shelleyt »

Apparently the back of my jaw bone? Sounds super gross to me but what about impacted canines isn't disgusting!! There is actually a small chance when he gets in there to remove the impacted tooth that he won't have to do any grafting, but I won't know for sure until I wake up from it being done!

Have you had any new progress? I'm hoping yours pulls through! We haven't had a success story in awhile!

bracesat41

#887 Post by bracesat41 »

Shelleyt wrote:Apparently the back of my jaw bone? Sounds super gross to me but what about impacted canines isn't disgusting!! There is actually a small chance when he gets in there to remove the impacted tooth that he won't have to do any grafting, but I won't know for sure until I wake up from it being done!

Have you had any new progress? I'm hoping yours pulls through! We haven't had a success story in awhile!
Eek.. more surgery in your mouth in a different spot. I think I personally would want the least evasive as possible. Hopefully the latter and no grafting is needed.

I don't know yet. I am only about 3 1/2 months in since my exposure. I have another appointment Monday to retie my wires and pull more. I can't really tell if the chain links are moving - I think they are, but I forget what the "chain spot" looks like when ever I actually look! LOL :-+
I'm going about every 2-3 weeks to retie. I think when I get to the 6 month mark we will do another Pan to see where things are and if they moved. I swear I feel them moving, but if not and its all my imagination, then I'm going to go right to the removal and grafting to get ready for implants. Same as you - and finish up the braces while that and then the implant heals. Then when my braces are ready to come off, I will be ready for the crowns.

Lis23

#888 Post by Lis23 »

Hey, guys I'm new here. My 13 yr old is having his surgery tomorrow. Anyone have advice for teenagers and how well this gone? I am so nervous is ridiculous. Any advice help! Thanks!

sdavis82

#889 Post by sdavis82 »

HI!
Was just reading through most all the posts and thought I would share my journey. I am 35 and both upper canines are impacted and laying sideways. For me it is hereditary as both my mother and aunt have this (they are twins). I also had a large space between my two front teeth. Top braces were put on at the end of February and I had surgery for extraction of the baby teeth and chains attached to the impacted teeth in April. The space between my front teeth is gone now. My ortho let me heal for about a month before a metal appliance was attached to my back molars. There is a metal bar across the roof of my mouth connecting the appliance. There are also four arms attached. The front two extend forward and have an L shaped hook and they rest on my first molars. The back two extend right behind where my canines would be just below the impacted teeth. The have a loop on the end and the chain is tied to these loops. Right after surgery, the chain came out right where my baby teeth were. We have been pulling on the chain since May and I think the only thing that was doing was moving the chain through my gum and palate because now the chain in right were the loops are. My ortho said that she will have x rays taken at the next appt. I am not confident that we will see any change.

This appliance makes talking a little difficult and food is always getting trapped under the bar. I now keep water with me all the time so that I can swish is out. My tongue hates it. I really cant wait to get this thing out. I have read that some of you have not had luck with bringing the canines down and are now getting implants. Part of me is now okay with this, if only get this appliance out my mouth and shorten total braces times.

Lis23

#890 Post by Lis23 »

[quote="sdavis82"]HI!
Was just reading through most all the posts and thought I would share my journey. I am 35 and both upper canines are impacted and laying sideways. For me it is hereditary as both my mother and aunt have this (they are twins). I also had a large space between my two front teeth. Top braces were put on at the end of February and I had surgery for extraction of the baby teeth and chains attached to the impacted teeth in April. The space between my front teeth is gone now. My ortho let me heal for about a month before a metal appliance was attached to my back molars. There is a metal bar across the roof of my mouth connecting the appliance. There are also four arms attached. The front two extend forward and have an L shaped hook and they rest on my first molars. The back two extend right behind where my canines would be just below the impacted teeth. The have a loop on the end and the chain is tied to these loops. Right after surgery, the chain came out right where my baby teeth were. We have been pulling on the chain since May and I think the only thing that was doing was moving the chain through my gum and palate because now the chain in right were the loops are. My ortho said that she will have x rays taken at the next appt. I am not confident that we will see any change.

This appliance makes talking a little difficult and food is always getting trapped under the bar. I now keep water with me all the time so that I can swish is out. My tongue hates it. I really cant wait to get this thing out. I have read that some of you have not had luck with bringing the canines down and are now getting implants. Part of me is now okay with this, if only get this appliance out my mouth and shorten total braces times.[/quote]

Did it hurt you to attach the chain to the braces?

sdavis82

#891 Post by sdavis82 »

Chain isn't really attached to my braces. It is attached to the appliance but when they pull on it, it only hurts for about a day or two and then there is no pain.

Lis23

#892 Post by Lis23 »

[quote="sdavis82"]Chain isn't really attached to my braces. It is attached to the appliance but when they pull on it, it only hurts for about a day or two and then there is no pain.[/quote]

Any update on your canines coming down?

sdavis82

#893 Post by sdavis82 »

No update on them yet. I see my ortho tomorrow and I think we are supposed to get xrays to check. So hopefully something tomorrow.

Lis23

#894 Post by Lis23 »

[quote="sdavis82"]HI!

This appliance makes talking a little difficult and food is always getting trapped under the bar. I now keep water with me all the time so that I can swish is out. My tongue hates it. I really cant wait to get this thing out. I have read that some of you have not had luck with bringing the canines down and are now getting implants. Part of me is now okay with this, if only get this appliance out my mouth and shorten total braces times.[/quote]

Could you insert a picture of the appliance? My son is getting something on Wednesday to pull on his canines and I would like to get an idea. Ple

Whimsical

#895 Post by Whimsical »

After almost two years of having a large gap where my two baby teeth were (the ones that were masking the impacted canine problem in the first place) last week my Ortho managed to ask - 'Do you mind having the gap? We can camouflage it if you like?' :shock:
Couldn't you have asked me that two years ago?! :lol: I assume there must have been some logistical reason why they couldn't have done it before, but anyway I now have a random large lump of white stuff welded in there. It's not amazingly attractive, but hey, it'll do!
The good news is, the small gap they left between it and the tooth that will be my fake canine, has closed up! So for once I can actually see progress instead of wondering if it's bothered to move or not, which is nice! :D

Lis23

#896 Post by Lis23 »

I want to post an update on my 13 yr old son.
Since this is a hard to find topic. He had surgery on September 22nd. He did really well! I was so surprised. Two weeks later he was in braces. That's when he really felt it. He couldn't eat for about a week. Shortly after that he got an expander. It's been a week and he is back to eating soft foods. We haven't activated the chains yet because te ortho wants to take her time. She wants the expander to make room. We go back on the 15th of November and hope to keep making progress.

UltraViolet

#897 Post by UltraViolet »

Hey guys! Great to catch up. No progress on my end and it's been 2 months... I am exactly where l was in August, April.... Still have a gap on my right side and the tooth is still shining through the gums taunting me. There is literally no explanation why it just stopped moving when it was progressing so well, we are all baffled :Questions:

@bracesat41 - I have been pulling since August-ish last year. My first canine came down in less than 7 months. My second one is stagnant right on my gums. I don't get it either but my Ortho is confused but so optimistic and won't switch treatment. We just keep adjusting and it isn't coming down. I am sooo frustrated right now.

How is it going for you?

@whimsical - I am glad your treatment is going successfully!! Lucky you :jump: At some point l suppose I have to put my foot down and tell my Ortho to stop wasting my time and just pull it out. Coz I am sick of this slow tooth.

@Lis23 - The surgery went pretty well for me too and healed quickly. The pulling will hurt but he will get used to it and at his age it could take 2 to 3 months for his teeth to come down. On the day I had surgery a 16 year old had the same surgery and his teeth have been fully out since beginning of the year. Age seems to definitely be a factor.

Make sure he keeps his mouth very clean though.
TickerFactory.com

bracesat41

#898 Post by bracesat41 »

@UltraViolet

Oh that is good that it only took 7 months. I had surgery June 9. Nothing coming through the gums :( I will go for my first follow up scan in December and hopefully we will see there has been enough movement. If not, I'm going to go right to the extraction, bone grafting, and then implants. And then while those heal, do the rest of the ortho treatment, which should hopefully all be done within a 2 year period. However, if they are moving then I don't know. I don't want to go through what you are going through, see things moving and then they just stop and months of no change. I think for sure it has to do with age.

UltraViolet

#899 Post by UltraViolet »

If l could go back l would do exactly what you want to do.

It's just been such a long process and to think things are going well for it all to just suddenly stop is annoying.

Anyway, Good Luck! Hopefully it will go better for you.
TickerFactory.com

Shelleyt

#900 Post by Shelleyt »

Hey all took a break from the forum while I was down on braces progress. The evil impacted canine is no more- I have had it extracted and it will never see the light of day again! The oral surgeon performing the procedure advised that expose/extract should have never been attempted and that it was indeed fused to my jaw bone. So that makes me less than happy with my ortho and first oral surgeon. The extraction procedure was supposed to take 45 mins and ended up being 1 hour and a half due to issues with the tooth being so deep. I had cadaver bone grafted into the extraction site.

I now have way way way (7mm) too much space in the area where the implant will eventually be placed so it will take a long time to close that up. Just got a powerchaIn and new bottom wire this week. No explanation from ortho as to why so much Extra space was opened up in the first place. I know it's common to allow a little extra room for bringing the impacted tooth up, but for me we are talking a whole extra tooth space. After all spaces are closed and braces are off, I'll have the implant placed, but then still have to wait 2-3 months for the crown. So looks like I still have nearly a year of a huge gap where my canine should be