Canine Exposure Surgery: Waste of Time + Money? **NEW PICS*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ollielloyd

Canine Exposure Surgery: Waste of Time + Money? **NEW PICS*

#1 Post by ollielloyd »

Okay, so some of you may have read my upper impacted canine story, that can be found here:

viewtopic.php?t=22295

Basically, my canine has moved, and the last link is through my gum.

It moved nicely up until past couple of months, where movement has stopped...

My orthodontist at my last check up told me that there is quite often a small layer of bone they have trouble breaking through, and that if she "threatened it with an exposure surgery it might come through".

So, I've seen ALOT of people here having exposures, and just wondered- should I go book the appointment and just Have it done???

Will having an exposure speed things up do you think?
And how do you propose I tell my surgeon/ortho I want it fast.
I have a 2 week vacation coming up in end of March which would be ideal.

Suggestions?

Oh, and when it's exposed...do they put the Damon bracket on it?? or what??

Also, my arch has been pulled up by the force on the elastic BY the canine. It doesnt want to come!! Help!!
Last edited by ollielloyd on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ollielloyd

#2 Post by ollielloyd »

Thanks that was helpful advice :)

I've emailed the surgery,to get a pricecheck, and I'll call my orthondontist tommorow.

Even if the operation just removed any gum around the tooth so it can really come through quickly that's fine by me.

It must take alot of pressure for the tooth to break through the gum tissue originally.

I've seen someones post where she had a sort of metal device attatched the a bracket with a band attatched to her lower canine putting constant tension on the tooth...I might enquire.

Thanks again!

fyrelight

#3 Post by fyrelight »

Yeah, when I had my canines exposed... first I had them pulled down via chain.... when I got to the last link of the chain, the teeth were still hidden, so we did the exposure surgery to remove some gum/bone and attach a button directly to the teeth (not enough room for a bracket at first). That button was tied to my archwire until it came down enough to put a bracket on and be brought into the arch. I was told that was my only option... they couldn't do anything more once they were "at the end of the chain". Good luck!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

bracedintx

#4 Post by bracedintx »

Hi fyrelight!! Haven't seen you on here in a long time! Glad you're back :)
(Sorry to hijack the thread ollielloyd--now back to the regularly scheduled canine exposure thread.)
I hope you find a way to make quick work of this pesky canine!!
self-ligating metal brackets all around

ollielloyd

#5 Post by ollielloyd »

Thanks for the responses guys! :)

Hey Fyrelight! I have read all your stories about your pesky canines!!! Very good :)

Yeah, its at the last link- i just don't see how enough force can physically bring the tooth through the gum??? It's not as if the gum thins out, it kind of just gets pushed around, so I have a layer preventing it from coming through.

I'm gonna ring my ortho when I get a reply from my surgeon!

Thanks guys

ollielloyd

#6 Post by ollielloyd »

So there is a pic of my teeth. I marked where the tooth is under the gum.

You can see there is a large black space, and the gum line is HIGH in that area. The canine just isnt moving at the moment! Will removing even more gum/ having more surgery be a risk??? Does it even look close to appearing???? :( :( :([/img]

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

That was just about where mine was when they had to do the 2nd exposure.... I think you're headed that direction.

See, here is where they put the buttons on just DAYS after the exposure surgery that leaves the teeth uncovered:

But, on the plus side, it goes much faster after they leave them exposed!!! :D They can put some serious traction on them then!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

metalgear84

Canine exposure

#8 Post by metalgear84 »

Hey guys! I've been following your cases for the past month, and have finally decided to register here and get involved...

I also have two impacted canines, and am scheduled to have them exposed next month....so not looking fwd to having two holes in my mouth.

after a chain is attached to it, how long on average does it take for them to come down and cover up the whole in the mouth...

Thanks! and good look with getting those canines down ;)

ollielloyd

#9 Post by ollielloyd »

Ahh fyrelight, thank you! :) You've given me hope :P Apart from your teeth looked much further forward in your pictures. I can actually see a TINY piece of my canine thats ripped through the gum, but that hasnt changed for a few months. I can see the bracket theyre attatched to the tooth wih, but the gum seems to get shallower around that area.

I'm going to definatly suggest it to my Ortho. Do you just thikn if I explain that I want them done asap (which she already knows) and I've read about previous cases, and I want them exposed over my Easter break, she'll say that's fine? She did make hints herself.... :P

Thanks again guys, good luck with your story too Metal! :)

fyrelight

#10 Post by fyrelight »

Meryaten wrote:Well, if she's already hinted at it as a possibility, you might have a conversation along the lines of "I remember you mentioning ..." and "I'm absolutely willing to go ahead with that, but it would be better for me if we could schedule it to fall over my Easter break".
Sounds good to me! :wink:

Good luck, Metal! It's not that bad!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

ollielloyd

#11 Post by ollielloyd »

Ugh..rang the ortho monday. Receptionist knew nothing..."ill have a look at your treatment plan...do you know which tooth it is?" UMM..I have a chain coming out of my gum..YES.

"I'll see if she can call you back".

That never happened.hmn...in a momeent of severe frustration. My teeth are gapy and discusting, complete with skanky bands and I have a huge gaping hole in my arch!! lovely

ollielloyd

#12 Post by ollielloyd »

jt2, i am incredibly jealous. April will mark 1 year with chain attatched. September was attempt 2. No tooth as of! I AM SO JEALOUS!! Lol.

My tooth is still high up and low back in the gum...the tip of the tooth is only just above the gum line in that area...higher than the top of my other teeth. Incredibly depressing.

Nothing hurts band wise, just look awful. :( I am just so,so,so sick of just nothing happening...3 years in braces and virtually nothing changed on the outside. :(

I need this exposure so badly..not only to help my treatment but to give me faith it's what I need to be looking on...rather than praying and hoping this damn tooth will apear!!!

I think my gum is too thick for it to come through??? When the elastics tied tight, it just causes my archwire to go up, and the teeth around the gap to rise up...it's not co-operating...at all.

If no luck by June, I'm opting implant.

metalmom

#13 Post by metalmom »

WOW!! That's so scary to me! I had my surgery on Jan 28th to expose the MIA canine.. I had my bling bling chain hanging low until my Feb appt and then they attached the chain.. I went back yesterday and the tip of my tooth is through and I actually have a wire now. :oops:
My ortho said we'll give it 6 months and if it's not through we'll pull and go for the implant but that he wanted to give this a shot first.

SHEESH!!! A YEAR!! Ya'll have so much patience. haha I'd freak out!!!

Good luck to you.

ollielloyd

#14 Post by ollielloyd »

wow you are very lucky...my tooth is high and far back...great. I'm gonna start researching dental implants. great.