modelling and braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearls

modelling and braces?

#1 Post by pearls »

ok so i havent been braced yet... i have my very first ortho consult in about 2 weeks.
but for a few years i have been wanting to model. I suppose it's probably not the best time to try for modelling when i will have braces or soon to be braced. i'm not really interested in ceramics/linguals/invisalign.
do you think i should go to agencies and see how i do there before ortho treatment? and then maybe when my modelling time is over or on hold i can be braced? hey i might not even be model material! im getting a bit ahead of myself

my teethies aren't too too bad so i could probably get away with having my teeth like that for a little bit.. although i think my teeth make my face look uneven..

here is some pics...

any thoughts?

thanks pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

pearls

#2 Post by pearls »

yeah i suppose invisalign is probably the best option given this situation, but like i said, i would rather get metal. Just because all of the info i have read from here, it sounds as if traditional braces gets you the best results.

i'm still stuck! hmph!
Metal upper and lowers

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

No way am I or ever have been model material lol, but why not call up a few agencies and mention the possibility of braces? I guess if you're still pretty young then braces might not preclude modelling as they would go well with teen fashions.

kittymeow84

#4 Post by kittymeow84 »

I think you should go to a few agencies first and see if they like you. Then if you get some serious interest, talk to them about getting braces and if it will affect your job prospects.

You could always get self-ligating clear or just regular ceramic braces with a white coated archwire and they are very unnoticable. Not to mention, models don't really smile an awful lot. Depends on what you want to be doing too - like no one will notice if you're doing catwalk and most high fashion photos don't have the model smiling.

All in all though - if you are still young, you might still have a really good chance after you've had the braces off too - do you know how long your treatment plan would be? If its under two years it might not even set you back that much really.
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

mariahfromchicago

#5 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Go for it even if you do have braces/Invisalign! :D

NotBob1

#6 Post by NotBob1 »

You may just fill a niche market in modeling that needs an adult with braces for modeling. Here in the U.S. it is so common to see adults with braces that I have already seen clips on T.V. and advertisments with an adult with an orthodontic smile.

Just a thought.....
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

PARR

#7 Post by PARR »

There are lots of modeling jobs that never show your teeth. In fact chef and I are paying for our ortho work with cash from just such gigs. And I'm not even good looking...guess muscles are useful for something.

So yes, ask, make calls, get info.

Beckster

#8 Post by Beckster »

PARR, who do you and Chef do thoe gigs for, if I may ask.

And Pearls, I am with everyone else--go for it!

I too have highly considered getting into modeling as an extra job, and in doing research I learned that much of it has to do with poise, character and confidence.

pearls

#9 Post by pearls »

thank you to everyone's replies! you are all so helpful. i think i will go ahead with the braces, and just see how i go.

NotBob1, your theory of a niche in the market is very interesting and i think you may have a point!

And i agree with what people were saying how models don't really smile or show teeth in photo's either.

and Beckster, i think you should go for it too! there is nothing to lose. everything is worth a try!

PARR - maybe i should go to the gym more and get bigger muscles! and then there might be a job for me!! haha

I look forward to starting my braces journey!

pearls
Metal upper and lowers

PARR

#10 Post by PARR »

kind of you to ask. chef and I have modeled designer male underwear for a gay catalog. If our faces show at all we are usually posed in a tough guy mouth closed glare at the camera stance. Abs pecs tats and piercings are what counts for the camera. No I'm not the soloflex guy.

gabi

#11 Post by gabi »

The braces definately change how you smile - how your lips are at rest and where your lips are for various facial expressions. It will take some practice in front of a mirror to become comfortable with your smile again. You will also be self concious and feel like everyone is looking at them. I have found that people don't notice my ceramic ones from a distance and rarely comment on them up close. I haven't done any photo shoots since I got them put on, so I can't say how they will be for print work.
For performance at least, and I imagine to some degree for modeling, it is personality that matters more.

bracedintx

#12 Post by bracedintx »

PARR wrote:kind of you to ask. chef and I have modeled designer male underwear for a gay catalog. If our faces show at all we are usually posed in a tough guy mouth closed glare at the camera stance. Abs pecs tats and piercings are what counts for the camera. No I'm not the soloflex guy.
I wish you lived in my town PARR :lol:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

SolarFeline

#13 Post by SolarFeline »

pearls, have you ever thought of extras acting work?

I had extras acting gigs in 06 & 07. I signed up with my agency first, and told them I was getting braces 9 months after I signed on with them. They didn't have a problem with it, & I was still getting work.

I wouldn't put off having braces. It seems like you are late teens/early 20's, so, just go for it.

What treatment plan you decide to adopt is up to you, but, you NEED to go with what is the best and most thorough treatment plan, to attain the result you want. Whether that is ceramic, metal (self-litigating brackets etc), Invisalign or whatever else needs to be done. Remember, it's your body, and no body elses. :wink:
Last edited by SolarFeline on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beckster

#14 Post by Beckster »

Couldn't agree with you more there, BracedinTX! :D

breal87

#15 Post by breal87 »

i say go for it!!!

Test