What kind of lipbalm do you use?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cosmicgirl

#16 Post by cosmicgirl »

Lisa65 wrote:I've resorted to putting Eucerin cream on them, which is designed for super dry skin rather than lips and contains urea. Tastes a bit unappetising but at least it means I'm not licking it off :lol:
I'm not surprised it tastes unappetising Lisa... urea is what gives our urine that lovely ammonia aroma! Not sure which is worse, the acid or wee??!!

Besides, the skin on our lips is different to the rest of our skin. Why don't you try Blistex Relief Cream instead - has a slightly medical taste, but that does fade...

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

Cosmic - the Eucerin was used as an emergency stopgap. I am hoping that the urea in it was produced in a lab and not from the wee of the people working in the Eucerin factory :lol: :lol:

LateStarter

#18 Post by LateStarter »

At the moment I use Ultraceuticals Ultra Lip Balm, which I got on the plane in my refresher kit when I went overseas a month ago. I love it - it makes my lips feel so soft, but also gives them a really nice shine.

cosmicgirl

#19 Post by cosmicgirl »

Lisa, I found this on the Wikipedia site and I hope it puts your mind at rest!

This discovery prompted Wöhler to write triumphantly to Berzelius:
"I must tell you that I can make urea without the use of kidneys, either man or dog. Ammonium cyanate is urea."

It's an amazing substance - not only a foot softener but a tooth whitener too. It's also added to cigarettes to improve flavour and to pretzels to make them brown... It can be used a road de-icer... a cloud seeding preparation... glue - the list is endless!

HIMgurl

#20 Post by HIMgurl »

wow, the many uses for urea! Lol. I don't have braces yet but I use this jumbo lip balm by wet n wild. And when I remember Bag Balm(green tin and last forever) its for cow's udders...lol.

kaycee

#21 Post by kaycee »

I use Bag Balm every night on my lips, its great! And then a collection of different chapsticks during the day, also Burts Bees.

macfancier

#22 Post by macfancier »

Aquaphor, Aquaphor, Aquaphor!

I've been using it exclusively for over 10 years, after a dermatologist recommended it specifically for my chapped lips, and I can't imagine life -- especially with braces -- without it!

adultbraces

#23 Post by adultbraces »

macfancier wrote:Aquaphor, Aquaphor, Aquaphor!

I've been using it exclusively for over 10 years, after a dermatologist recommended it specifically for my chapped lips, and I can't imagine life -- especially with braces -- without it!

Do they make one for lips?
Their product description saids for dry elbows, burn.. sounds more like a body lotion

browneyedgrl

#24 Post by browneyedgrl »

I use a little bit of this and that. I like kiehl's lip balm #1, carmex, and the new blistex roll on. Aquaphor is good too, my girls love it!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

mottsrods

#25 Post by mottsrods »

I use nothing but Burt's Bee's Beeswax Lip Balm. I have had funny reactions to some that have petroleum in them, so I stay away from them. The beeswax I have found stays on longer too!

And for the Urea crowd....... old remedy to reduce the swelling of bug bites, bee stings and many others bites. Just pee in a cup, and use a q-tip to apply...........It works.........

macfancier

#26 Post by macfancier »

adultbraces wrote:
macfancier wrote:Aquaphor, Aquaphor, Aquaphor!

Do they make one for lips?
Their product description saids for dry elbows, burn.. sounds more like a body lotion
There is only one Aquaphor product I know of, packaged a couple of different ways, and it has the consistency of petroleum jelly. It is definitely not a body lotion in the sense that you would slather it on your whole body unless you have eczema or something. But it is perfect for the lips!

smile2006

#27 Post by smile2006 »

I like Chap-Stick all natural for everyday use. Also Eminence Organic Skin Care has an organic Citrus lip balm in a pot that is wonderful but at $24.00 for a small pot (.27 oz) it's too pricey to use all the time.

LilRedPitViper

#28 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I don't go ANYWHERE without a tube of Burts Bees. I've got little stashes of tubes everywhere!

I also use gloss by C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries. For a gloss, it lasts a really long time. They have it in many colors and flavors. (I favor the UltraMint... which gives a great tingle once you've put it on. Smells and tastes great too!)

Neva

#29 Post by Neva »

I found this stuff called Lizard Lips at a convenience store, and now it's my favorite. I'd never heard of it before that point, but I actually switched off Burt's Bees for it which I never thought I'd do.