decay under brackets.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenni11

decay under brackets.

#1 Post by jenni11 »

I have heard of people having their teeth rot or have cavities because of the bonding not sealing between the bracket and your tooth. I am kind of scared of this. Has anyone hear of this? And is it preventable with really good teeth brushing, using mouth wash and stuff. I know sometimes when I eat and cant brush right after I try to swish water around and don’t drink a lot of pop and juice. So I am hoping that helps. Lol I wish I would quit hearing stories. Being a newbie makes you panic..lol. :shock:

dena

#2 Post by dena »

I was really afraid of that, too, when I started. I haven't had any trouble with my teeth, though. Decay can occur more easily with braces, but since you are probably brushing way more than normal, you should be fine. For my own peace of mind, I decided that I would go to the dentist for a check-up/cleaning once every 3 months. It is pricier, but it's worth it to feel that my teeth are safe. This year, I think I adjusted to once every 4 months. Regardless, if you pay attention, you should be fine I think.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

BallPointPen

#3 Post by BallPointPen »

I remember a girl from school who when she had her braces taken off had brown marks on every tooth where her brackets were. Is this common?

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

!!!!THIS IS NOT COMMON!!!

That said,
I started a thread about my 13 year old daughter who got cavities from a bad bonding job. She's got at least 2 possibly 3 cavities on incisors and will have to have those filled in the next week. Please read on and heed warnings given above and here about hygiene!

THIS IS NOT COMMON!!!!! If you go here, viewtopic.php?t=22081&start=0 you will see her bad bonding job. The ortho is partly to blame and my daughter is partly to blame and I am partly to blame....

Had I taken her in more often for dental cleanings and checks, this wouldn't have advanced to cavity. If the ortho had done a better job with bonding, there wouldn't have been plaque traps and if she'd been better at brushing..well, you get the picture....

short story
: make sure your ortho has cleaned up all excess bonding material and BRUSH well, and see your dentoist at leat every 6 months.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm