Can braces fix rotated teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dugsmom

Can braces fix rotated teeth?

#1 Post by dugsmom »

When I was younger, I had 2 bottom molars pulled (one of each side). through the years my teeth has drifted. My premolars on each side are "twisted." Can braces fixed these rotated teeth?
thanks
Dugsmom

true_jaat

#2 Post by true_jaat »

I am sure they can, I have seen cases on this website of very twisted teeth that have finally ended up looking perfect. I myself had a tooth that was a twisted and that got fixed up, now I cant even tell if it was twisted to begin with until i see the before pics.
The future depends on what we do in the present.

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

Yes, it most likely can! It is amazing what orthodontics can do! I'm not sure what the nature of your tooth rotation is, but I'm sure if you look through some of the postings here you'll find someone with similar issues and can see how orthodontics fixed it.

Good luck!
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Gemz

#4 Post by Gemz »

In my experience, yes. The way they do it can sometimes seem a bit odd but it can be done.

My front bottom teeth were so crossed over that you could take the left one out and there'd be virtually no gap! It was almost at a 90 degree angle.
But they've spaced it out and the tooth is now being pulled back into place and will be straight :)

HTH

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I had bottom premolars out as a teen and over time my canines and the other premolars had rotated and tipped to almost fill the extraction gaps. Braces have unrotated those teeth, one premolar must have rotated almost 90 degrees in 6 months - it's incredible what can be acheived.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Yep, I've had a premolar that was rotated 90 degrees, pulled into line with braces and powerchain.

skibunnie29

#7 Post by skibunnie29 »

IF it gives you any comfort that is exactly the reason I'm getting braces. Missing 2 back molars caused drifting 2 teeth rotated and now braces.

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Sounds like the twisting is from a malocclusion and lack of posterior support. How many molars are you missing? If you do not have sufficient molar support you may be right back where you started many years down the road. I assume your ortho and dentist are in proper communication about their respective treatments?

Best,
Rory

LadyTr0uble

#9 Post by LadyTr0uble »

In my experience, it can be corrected. I've got an incisor that was turned almost sideways, and it's getting "straightened out" as we speak. I also had two incisors that were leaning on each other and my ortho put some contraption he called a “rotating screwâ€

rsprouse

#10 Post by rsprouse »

Wow. SO let me see if I have this atright (no pun intentded): without molars to provide posterior support, premolars and/or teeth further forward can rotate? I imagined that they would only rotate if overcrowded.
Not in all cases. Think about the size and shape of all teeth including the root size and the number of roots. Anterior teeth are for tearing and ripping, back teeth for crushing and lots of force. Premolars are hybrid. So if you lose molars the brunt of your occlusion moves forward to smaller crowns and roots. The adaptive nature of the body will shift teeth to minimize trauma to an isolated spot and make it more diffuse. Occlusal trauma will do crazy things and move teeth in different ways. Don't take what I said about missing a molar as truth in all situation. But in the OP's case, I am comfortable in guessing that is the case.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Rory

dugsmom

#11 Post by dugsmom »

Thank you all very very very much for answering my post. It was comforting to know that my rotated teeth can be fixed. I saw an ortho but he didn't mention those teeth...I should've asked him but he took off before I was able to ask questions. He left me with his assistant who had already told me a few things that I knew were not right so I didn't want to waste my time asking her.
Thanks again
Dugsmom

smecklepickle

Re:

#12 Post by smecklepickle »

lionfish wrote:
> Yep, I've had a premolar that was rotated 90 degrees, pulled into line with
> braces and powerchain.

how long did it take? I just stumbled onto this thread because I have the same thing (my very front tooth is rotated 90° since I was in 2nd grade lol) I want to get my teeth fixed so bad but my parents never did anything about it.

bbsadmin

Re: Can braces fix rotated teeth?

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

Nobody could say how long it might take for you. An orthodontist would have to look at your teeth and tell you. Each case is different.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!