Help, I need to make a decision fast

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amburly

Help, I need to make a decision fast

#1 Post by Amburly »

I am going in tomorrow to have my braces put on so I have to decide whether I want ceramic on top with metal on bottom or completely metal. I know no one can decide for me but I just need some advice

Amburly

#2 Post by Amburly »

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I think that I am just so nervous about tomorrow that I am fretting over small stuff. I just don't want to be unhappy with my braces. Although my ortho is very nice and very considerate, with that being said I think he would allow me to swap the ceramics for metal if I was completely unhappy. I think I am going to go with ceramic tops and metal bottoms.
Again, thank you for the reply.

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I have metal on top and will have metal on the bottom as well. I am very happy with my choice (although I do wish they weren't self ligating and I could have some color). I find myself looking at people with ceramics and wondering what is wrong with their teeth for a few seconds (perhaps the people I have seen have less than stellar hygene). I would rather people see me and say, ' oh, braces.' I have been braced for about 6 weeks now and today I had a friend, whom I have seen several times since being braced, only just notice them. In the end it is a really a choice between your comfort level and your orthos preference in your case. You can't make a 'wrong' choice here - they are all good. Let us know how it goes :D

ghostmyimag3

#4 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I have metal mania!
Mine were rough for the first week but now i barely notice them, actually i dont even feel them anymore.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

overseasmel

#5 Post by overseasmel »

I've got ceramic uppers and damon 3mx lowers. The best advice I got was to follow my heart. I feel pretty good being able to look at my teeth and think "yep, I made the right choice (for me)".

I don't think all damon 3mx would have been a bad idea, and I think I would have adjusted to the look of them fine, but my heart wanted a less visible upper set, so that's what I went with. :D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

finally

#6 Post by finally »

[align=center]All metal is cute as hell 8) but if you do go all metal I would pick some light bands. I first requested silver bands and oh my gosh did I look like I had a platinum grill. Anyways, I had them change them out to a clear and it gives it a softer look. I like them. :wink: [/align]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2 Corinthians 4:17

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle." -Plato

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

I know I'm too late but here's my take. I have ceramic uppers/metal lowers. The metals are much smaller than the ceramics and may be easier to adapt to if you have an overbite that makes it more likely your lips will rub your braces. If I had to do it over again, I'd go all metal. I'm proud of my decision to go for braces and happy with the progress. With that feeling there is no reason to hide them. Plus now I'm ready to be flashy with colors (although mine are self litigating) with Powerchains and the like.

This is a time in your life where you're going to need confidence and a sense of humor.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

I haven't got my tops braced yet and it's going to be a while before they are, because of the problems with my molars, but I intend to go all metal and I'm 41. My ortho can't believe I really want that, but to me it just seems like a more fun way of going about things.
I was even considering these

http://wildsmiles4you.com/brackets.php

jaswi

#9 Post by jaswi »

All metal here, my reasoning was that I have stained upper teeth, and thought ceramics would make my teeth look icky all the time, plus they were bigger. Also I know that anyone I get close enough to, so that I care whether or not they know I have braces, is going to know I have them regardless. As an added bonus, it seems to be a conversation starter when people come up to me and say 'ooh I remember braces' or other stuff like that. Actually I've met some great girls that way ;)

Amburly

#10 Post by Amburly »

Thank you so much for such great replies. It is now thirty minutes until my appointment and I'm still unsure. At first I said ceramic on top but now I'm not so sure. I think I will talk it over with the ortho when I get there. I'll come back and post later this afternoon to tell everyone my decision. Again thank you so much for the replies.

Amburly

#11 Post by Amburly »

Well I made my decision and I have to say I am completely happy with the one I made. I decided to go with the ceramic uppers and I love them. My ortho uses the ICE brand and they really are invisible for the most part. I am so happy with my decision.

ssfw

#12 Post by ssfw »

Hi Amburly,

Congratulations on getting your braces. I hope the process went smoothly. It sounds like you are very happy with your decision and I feel that is very important in having the entire orthodontic process more enjoyable.

I also had problems with deciding which brackets to get. When I had my consultation about a year ago, I did ask if I would be able to get the ceramic braces. He said he would be able to put them on the front 6 teeth and use metal on the back teeth and I was fine with that. I think he wanted to use metal on the back teeth because I will eventually have to wear elastics and probably due to the work that has to be done on the back teeth. I was thinking about getting all metal braces because the brackets are a bit smaller. Because I am a bit self conscious about having to wear braces as an adult, I decided to go with the ceramic brackets. They ended up placing all ceramic brackets on my upper teeth. When my lower brackets were placed about 2 months later, they did put metal brackets on the back teeth and ceramic on the front teeth. I would have been fine with it if they placed all metal which I have heard some orthodontists prefer for the lower teeth. I asked my orthodontist if I will need to have the metal brackets placed on my upper back teeth. He took a look and said he thinks I will be fine with the ceramic brackets. I am glad to be able to experience both the metal and ceramic brackets and they are both very comfortable and look nice. But, because I am still a bit self concious about wearing braces I am very happy with the ceramic brackets and have not had any problems with either brackets. Yes, even though I am self concious I have never regretted getting braces.

Good luck with your ortho treatment and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08