Got teeth shaped, see pics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

merrily

Got teeth shaped, see pics

#1 Post by merrily »

You can also see how much bone loss I have on the bottom jaw. :(

Anyway, I would love to hear your comments on what you think about my teeth. I have not posted or lurked on this forum for ages because I am honestly pretty darn tired of my braces (will have them on for 3 years next January).

merrily

#2 Post by merrily »

Forgot to add that the first pic is from several months ago. I don't have a more recent one from before the reshaping because it wasn't planned.

stRaighteR

#3 Post by stRaighteR »

i think they look great :)

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

It looks like your ortho did a really nice job for you.

I had a bit of gum recession on the bottom, too. I think it's more common for adults than kids for that to happen.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

simplywired

#5 Post by simplywired »

Your teeth really look great. Is it common practice for the ortho to shape the teeth at the end of treatment? Does he/she do it usually or your dentist usually. Anyone? :?:

calypsojunky

#6 Post by calypsojunky »

What exactly does it mean to have your teeth shaped?

merrily

#7 Post by merrily »

calypsojunky, if you look at the difference in the top and bottom pictures, you'll see that the edges of my top teeth look more even now. My ortho just evened out the places that were worn down. It is quick and painless. She uses a tool that has a spinning head and gently sort of sands off the edges.
simplywired, I believe it is common practice to have teeth shaped (if you need it). I have read of many others here who've had it done. My ortho did it. I don't think dentists do it.

diande

#8 Post by diande »

Q: Is that bone loss or just gum recession? Or are the 2 the same thing?

I have noticed more of my lateral incisors have been showing at the gums since I got braces to correct an overbite and spaces. I feel it was normal seeing that the braces have to push the teeth back and so, downwards a bit...

Any ideas?
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

merrily

#9 Post by merrily »

From my understanding (and I am not a professional, so I may be wrong), bone loss and gum recession are NOT the same thing. My gums are healthy and pink; it is the underlying bone that has become thinner. That's why I have the huge dreaded black triangles between each tooth. I think with severe gum recession, gums would be worn away but you would still be able to see bone supporting the teeth. Gum recession can be fixed with a gum graft, but there's nothing that can be done about bone loss.
I think people use the terms interchangeably but are incorrect.
diande, I'm not sure about your situation, but I think if your gumline looks healthy, then you are fine.

hopkins

#10 Post by hopkins »

Did your ortho do any shaping inbetween the teeth to try and lessen the effect of your black triangles? It could just be the picture but it looks like they are a little less noticeable in the newer pic.

I have the dreaded "black triangles" on my lower arch in pretty much the same places as you. The aesthetics don't both me as much as the fact it makes cleaning that much more annoying.

merrily

#11 Post by merrily »

My ortho didn't do any shaping in between the teeth. Unfortunately, it is just the photo that makes it look like the black triangles are smaller. :( The spaces are as big as ever. :( The aesthetics really bother me, I feel like my mouth looks really OLD. :?

nicholeuf

#12 Post by nicholeuf »

merrily wrote: Gum recession can be fixed with a gum graft, but there's nothing that can be done about bone loss.
Actually....you can have a bone graft. I know someone who had to have that done in preparation for dental implants. See http://www.dental--health.com/bone_tissue_grafting.html.

I also had the 'black triangles' on my bottom teeth. At my last appointment, my ortho used the shaving tool (looks like a little dremel saw) to shave the sides of the teeth and now the triangles have all but gone away. He also evened their shape out a bit so they look more attractive. It was painless although the tool looked pretty scary!