open bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mis b

open bite

#1 Post by mis b »

hay doc i've had braces for 9 months and a tongue rake habit appliance for about 4-5 months :? { can't really remember } anyway my orthodontist docter put the appliance on because she assumed it would close the openbite but it hasn't. my docter also said that the only way possible to close the openbite will be with surgery is their any other way????

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

I'll jump in here.

It depends on the extent of your open bite. As I learned (because I used to have an open bite), most orthodontists consider this pretty hard to fix. If your open bite is rather extensive, you might indeed need surgery to properly fix it. Some open bites are worse than others. Fortunately mine was able to be corrected to some extent without surgery.

Have you had any other consultations? Before you go down the surgery road, please get at least 2 more opinions about your situation. Not every orthodontist handles things the same way.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

mis b

#3 Post by mis b »

wat did they do 2 close your openbite?

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Hi Misb, I had a fairly sizeable lateral open bite on both sides - I think 3-4mm - and it's being progressively closed with box elastics.

xtrememkovr

#5 Post by xtrememkovr »

I, too, have an open bite (sucked my thumb for many years). Surgery was never mentioned to me. I was told from one DR that I would have to wear elastics and headgear for about 1 year. This current doctor said that I'd have to wear elastics as well but no headgear and again, no mention of surgery. When my teeth are together I can put my tongue thru the opening of my front teeth - I'm not sure what the exact measurements are, but that is one question I plan on asking my DR when I see him on Friday to get banded.

X.

mis b

#6 Post by mis b »

thanks for the replys everyone but xtrememkover when did they put the headgear and elastics on at the beginning of treatment or at the end? and i also thought headgears were only for people with overbites. {please correct me if i'm wrong}

Svensk Tiger

#7 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I have a skeletal openbite and am having surgery to fix it. I'm not sure how big my openbite is but I know it's in excess of 5mm because that's the amount my upper jaw needs levelling by.

Your ortho knows best as he/she has actually seen you and treated you. If you're not happy about going down the surgical route you could ask what sort of compromise could be reached with orthodontics only or you could see another ortho for another opinion.

Good luck!
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Svensk Tiger

#8 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Multiple post deleted.
Last edited by Svensk Tiger on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Svensk Tiger

#9 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Multiple post deleted.
Last edited by Svensk Tiger on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Svensk Tiger

#10 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Multiple post deleted.

xtrememkovr

#11 Post by xtrememkovr »

mis b wrote:thanks for the replys everyone but xtrememkover when did they put the headgear and elastics on at the beginning of treatment or at the end? and i also thought headgears were only for people with overbites. {please correct me if i'm wrong}
hi mis b. I never had headgear - and I'll see about the elastics at my appointment on Friday. I was told about headgear at one consultation several years ago and my bite hasn't changed much since then. Not sure what the headgear was suppose to do - but my current dr made no mention of it at all - just elastics. I'll ask him when I talk to him on Friday (that is the date that I will FINALLY be banded!! :) ), however, and post pictures on the forum so you can see what I'm referring to when I mention my open bite. :)

X.

fari670

Re: open bite

#12 Post by fari670 »

I also have open or closed bite and currently I am wearing expanders on the ceiling of my mouth , I dont know but I think it for my closed bite because my upper jaw is closed compared to my lower jaw :( I wanted to know how long should I be wearing these Quad helix - expanders? its my 3rd month already.

CCinBraces

#13 Post by CCinBraces »

I know this is old but--my ortho never even mentioned closing the open bite with elastics. Is that a fairly normal thing to do? I guess Im wondering why this hasn't been mentioned or attempted with me. Anyone else want to share their open bite experiences?

Mimo1985

#14 Post by Mimo1985 »

I have braces right now for a open bite of 2mm - I actually have photos of the progress on this website in "Our braces stories" I can post a link
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=50261

I was told one time by ONE ortho that I need surgery, but then several other orthos told me I did not need surgery and that they could fix it with braces - so I am going to agree with what everyone else said and say "it depends".

I think if you havent already - see other orthodontists and see what they can offer. Surgery might be the only option, but I would *definitely* get another opinion. Surgery Ive read can cost $20+K and more sometimes, so you really need to try and see if its really necessary.

Personally speaking, if I had 2 or 3 visits to orthos and they all said I need surgery, then I would consider that a done deal, but if only give one opinion - I would look for a second.
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

Mimo1985

#15 Post by Mimo1985 »

CCinBraces wrote:I know this is old but--my ortho never even mentioned closing the open bite with elastics. Is that a fairly normal thing to do? I guess Im wondering why this hasn't been mentioned or attempted with me. Anyone else want to share their open bite experiences?
It seems pretty standard from what I know of open bite and braces. I know for me personally, I have elastics going town in a triangle shape on both sides to start closing it. Its already gone down a little bit.
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm