When you close your mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jalapeno

When you close your mouth

#1 Post by jalapeno »

If you sit upright with your mouth completely relaxed and slightly open, when you then close your mouth all the way so the jasw are all the way together should you have to move your lower jaw backward a little?

And when you close your jaws all the way, how should the lower front six teeth contact (or not contact) the backs of your upper fron teeth? Should they touch or not, as you close your mouth, and fully clenched should they contact or not?

thanks

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I can only answer the second question. The first one I will leave to someone who knows better. I will say this about the first question though. Whenever my ortho used to look at my bite he used to have to push my jaw backwards to see where my bite was. So it may be normal for this stage of your treatment (which you didn't say what stage you are in).

The second question. My ortho said they should touch lightly.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

jalapeno

#3 Post by jalapeno »

Thanks jcdamon3, at least on the 2nd question. I am not in treatment yet, just looking into it to see if I want to do it.