The pain is getting a bit ridiculous...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

autumnl

The pain is getting a bit ridiculous...

#1 Post by autumnl »

So here it is, 3:51 am eastern time and I'm wide awake- so what better to do than cry to someone (hubby is at work and kids are sleeping...I'm all alone lol). I woke up in the most pain I've ever been in. This includes labor contractions, I kid you not. I had 2 top premolar extractions on Monday. Left side is right as rain. Right side has turned angry and wants me to die (or so it seems). I am a notorious grinder and I'm pretty sure this is the cause of the problem, but the entire top front of my mouth is throbbing and it feels like there is a rubber band wrapped as tight as it can be around the front 6. If anyone has any suggestions- I will try anything. I popped 600 motrin when I woke up, no relief yet :(. Maybe some distracting infomercials on tv will help lol.

Prometheus

Re: The pain is getting a bit ridiculous...

#2 Post by Prometheus »

Something is not right if you have that much pain. You may have developed an infection. You should call them right away and get it checked out.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Doyen

#3 Post by Doyen »

Could be something called dry socket...why not call the dentist?

autumnl

#4 Post by autumnl »

Dentist not in on Fri/Sat/Sun. I have an appointment on Monday morning. I think I can get through today and tomorrow. It's not so bad right now after 400 motrin and a tylenol. I don't see anything oozing out, no bad taste, but I've narrowed it down to the tooth next to the hole- the canine. It's very wiggly and the slightest hint of pressure sends it screaming. I was probably grinding on it while sleeping. Thanks for the insight! I thought dry socket as well at first, but no radiating pain to my head or ear or jaw. The site still looks a nice even red. I'm just afraid to go to sleep tonight :shock: If it gets too bad throughout the next day I will not hesitate to go to urgent care.

lmk

#5 Post by lmk »

autumnl wrote: I woke up in the most pain I've ever been in. This includes labor contractions, I kid you not.

Oh wow, that's not good. I once had the most horrific pain I've ever felt radiating im my mouth and I told the doctor at urgent care the same thing you just said about the pain being worse than labor. Turned out I had an infection and needed a root canal. Hopefully that's not the case with you, but if your pain persists, get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon!

autumnl

#6 Post by autumnl »

Update just in case anyone is wondering: apparently, the dentist uses a mixture of anesthetic plus epinephrine when he numbs me up. The epinephrine in the shot had caused a prolonged constriction of the blood vessel(s) behind my tooth. This has caused a big ulcer and alot alot alot of pain. Gave me a script for antibiotic and a mixture to rub on the ulcer to heal it up. He says I should feel significantly better in 3 days. Hoping for a miracle and it's better tomorrow :?