Swollen gum with fluid oozing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ronni

Swollen gum with fluid oozing

#1 Post by ronni »

I have an area where the gum is swollen and it is painful. When I push on it, some clear/cloudy/slightly yellow fluid comes out and it has an awful smell (i know - its digusting) and it is causing bad breath.

My gums have swollen before due to irriation from my braces, but I have never had the fluid and it usually goes away in a day or so. Also, this area is behind my very last molar on the bottom (where my wisdom teeth would be) and there isn't a molar band or any brackets on that tooth, so I have a feeling its not because of the braces.

This is the 2nd day of this problem and it is really worrying me. I just went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, they didn't say anything about gum disease. I have been rinsing with mouth wash and brusing regularly, but it just make the fluid smell mint-flavored and still really gross.

Any ideas? Is this common? Please help. Thanks :)

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm not no expert but it does sound like an infection to me, get it checked out immediatly!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ronni

#3 Post by ronni »

Thanks for your responses. I went to the dentist and he confirmed that it is an infection due to some food being trapped under the gum. He cleaned it with an anti-bacterial rinse and put me on an intense cleansing routine. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

payoki

#4 Post by payoki »

how about talking to your doctor? mine prescribed perioguard mouthrinse and it really helps.
mother of one.