How to spread the word about this website?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

#16 Post by bbsadmin »

An hour or two is a lot of time for a busy orthodontist! A half hour to an hour per week would be sufficient (I'm sure) to answer a few questions. Whatever could be fit into their busy schedule without becoming a hinderance.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

NotBob1

#17 Post by NotBob1 »

I think that first getting the various orthos to see that this is a genuine site with a moderator that spends time keeping it clean and professional and it's not just a typical "free for all" is most important. Then once enough of them are interested, the ones who want to participate, will.

People who are interested on their own will put forth far more energy into something than someone who is asked to do something as a favor. It becomes a burden at that point. I am asked all of the time to do what is known as "Tech sessions" for various BMW & Spam clubs. I almost always decline as I just really don't feel like making the time. That said, when I stumble on to something on my own and want to help out, that is where I jump in and assist where I can. I love to help people with their automotive issues on my terms. I know a great deal of automotive business owners that operate the same way and I would imagine it is no different from any other field. I know that when my dentist comes to pick up his cars from me (he has a ton of them....what a surprise...) he wants to talk cars, not teeth! I of course want to talk teeth, not cars when I am at his office!

I didn't mean to ramble on about it, I just wanted to point out that maybe we should do this in a calculated fashion and not try to push them (Dr.s) into it. I know I said "gang up" on them, but I am having second thoughts on this idea.

My strategy so far has been to mention the good information I have had access to each time I visit. Since my Orthos practice is mostly adults, I mention that the website is mostly adults as well. I know there are some younger people here too, but they tend to behave and post as adults, so they are included in this term! Lynn has sent materials to my Ortho, unfortunately there has not been a response from them yet. Yet. :) It is my goal that before I am out of these contraptions I get them to start distributing a Denta-Kit and a card with this website to each new patient. It's not that big of a deal, She can just add $50.00 to the treatment cost! Who is going to care if it is $7,000.00 or $7,050.00??? ;)

So can anyone tell me why my Hare on my time ticker is disappearing down there?? Do I need to do something?

-Pat
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

bbsadmin

#18 Post by bbsadmin »

Hmmm...not sure why your ticker bunny is disappearing NotBob. I don't think it's any limitation from the board (??)

Anyway, I never want to harrass any docs or make them feel like they have a big obligation that they can't meet. I know for example how busy my own orthodontist is. He not only has a practice, but he teaches at the local dental school and he has a young family. He's also just not inclined to do stuff on the web (his practice doesn't even have a website). Also, some orthos juggle more than one practice. It's a tricky thing, getting docs to participate here. But I think that as word in the professional community spreads, there may be more participation in the future. I'm looking into placing some ads in a couple of the professional journals (that gets really pricey and I couldn't afford to do that in the past). Also, in September, one of the bracket companies is doing a story about ArchWired in their semi-annual magazine, which will be distributed to a lot of orthodontists worldwide. That's pretty darned exciting!

We're kicking around a lot of ideas, like doing a mass mailing to dental professionals, getting more press releases out there, etc.

My intention isn't to make the site or the message board huge. It's to get the word out so that people with braces will know about this website. On the web you're always going to get your share of weirdos or troublemakers, but I have a lot of safeguards put in place now which help to keep that under control. I'm very serious about keeping the site and the message board clean and spam-free.

Running this site is a lot of work, but when I get emails from people saying how much it has helped them, it makes it all worth it. It's worthwhile to have a positive impact on the world, even in a small way.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Dark_angel

#19 Post by Dark_angel »

Notbob, my ticker did that and once you hit 6 months it will reappear again, well mine did. I suspect it may dissapear again around 11 months but i will only know that with time.

Kimber

#20 Post by Kimber »

Lynn wrote:
Running this site is a lot of work, but when I get emails from people saying how much it has helped them, it makes it all worth it. It's worthwhile to have a positive impact on the world, even in a small way.
I just wanted to second all the positive feedback you get -- this site is wonderful! and thank you for all your hardwork in keeping it going and making it a fun, supportive and educational place! :thumbsup:
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

nvcarissa

#21 Post by nvcarissa »

Notbob, my ticker did that and once you hit 6 months it will reappear again, well mine did. I suspect it may dissapear again around 11 months but i will only know that with time.
And when you hit a year, the ticker stops counting days, just months and weeks.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Bracedapril05

#22 Post by Bracedapril05 »

I've told my Ortho about this site and I am a member of different sites not Just to do with braces and I've told them about it as well.This website is great :D

IntentionallyBlank

domain name

#23 Post by IntentionallyBlank »

how about a separate domain name for the forum, like www.archwiredforum.com ?

for me its the forum that makes this site, and if i was to advertise on a poster index.php I don't think it would be as easy to remember. and yes, you could just say "Click on the message board" but it would be so much simpler.

I've just looked at archedwired.com again, I sometime forget that there is a whole website out there besides the furum!! :roll:

IB
"There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact... it's all dark."

bbsadmin

#24 Post by bbsadmin »

Yeah, I think a lot of people tend to hang at the forum and not go to the main site.

Recently I got some new logging software and...jeez....you should see the statistics on this forum! The hit count is amazing.

xtrememkovr

#25 Post by xtrememkovr »

I just wanted to second the poster and card idea. I wrote to you a bit earlier, Lynn, in regards to the denta kit - and I would love some material sent to my ortho's office. I think there are so many people that would love to have the community setting - and the ortho's would like it too, I bet... more people would be caring for their braces after a bit of education!

I wanted to let you know, too, Lynn, that I found out about your site thru another site/message board having NOTHING to do with braces, whatsoever. As soon as I said I was an adult thinking about braces someone emailed me the address to this board. I think that there are many opportunities each of us has to spread the word in our own little way. I'd LOVE little business cards to pass out to folks - especially where the denta kit is concerned. It's not even a marketing "job" for me - it's fun. I learned about it thru someone else and would so love to lead other people here, too. Sure - with more members comes the possibility of drama and a few freakos every now and again - BUT - I think the number of negatives is minute compared to the huge numbers of people that can be helped. I just think about how much more positive my life has become and I haven't even STARTED treatment (well - brackets and bands but no wires yet...) and the possibility of someone else feeling that joy ... well - it's a no brainer to me in regards to spreading the word!

xxooxx.

X.

SDFD TSchott

#26 Post by SDFD TSchott »

What I will be starting next month is a world tour coference for the fire department and I will be talking with thousands of people on a daily basis so what I can do is tell them about this awesome site and I will also post some links on my website.

SDFD TSchott

My Orthodontist already has a flyer for this site up in his office which I thought was strange but amazing that hes supporting this site.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Dramagyrl

#27 Post by Dramagyrl »

I'm going to have to give my ortho's contact info to receive information.

I've told their office about it and they seem interested, maybe if they were contacted it would be incentive for them to get involved though.

stRaighteR

#28 Post by stRaighteR »

i will ask my old and new ortho to share the site with their other patients...

Gennel

#29 Post by Gennel »

I like the idea of having a poster available that we can all print out. Maybe put a link and we can print it out. I can mention this to my ortho and dentist. I know my ortho has already heard of this site through a few other patients of his that are members here!

I think that the best way for me to get the ortho and dentist to see what a great idea it is ,is to tell them that there are so many types of orthodontic cases here. Many people have gone through so many procedures that their patients may find very informative . I know that because of this site I have been able to see many "orthodontic appliances" that were going to be used on me. Things to expect...
What better way to fully understand what braces feel like,what certain adjustments feel like than from actual current patients? For me personally ,I'm more at ease if I know what to expect and what things will look like.

Gennel

bbsadmin

#30 Post by bbsadmin »

Actually, I'm working on something like that -- a flier that can be available for you to print out.

I was thinking of making it into a PDF document that you could download and print out. Would that work for you guys? Can most people handle PDFs?