False teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

XxNickiCxX

Re: False teeth?

#16 Post by XxNickiCxX »

lol its almost like looking at a pic of me the one without (when I didnt have any)
Don't have any pics yet I'm in work so would look slightly odd taking a pic of my mouth. But will put some up soon. How are your false ones for eating? or even just not doing anything? Mine just constantly wobble - face the wrong direction when I try to eat anything and if anything touches them in that position the jam into my gum - so sore. Sleeping last night was a nightmare again the slightest movement and they stab my gums waking me up... and the all over pain from getting my teeth pulled together etc makes it hard to get to sleep in the first place. been awake since 2.55 am not fun. So going to try and get an emergency appointment to either get them out or fixed better today... cant face a whole weekend with them. Never mind 6 weeks :'(

exm

#17 Post by exm »

Wow I would definitely go in, that doesn't sound right.

It sounds like yours are just little flappers that have a bracket and are on your braces wire? Mines actually a retainer that pops out with 2 teeth on it. It's not great for eating, kind of annoying, but it doesn't hurt at all. The teeth don't poke my gums, and since they're on a retainer, they don't move. I kind of wish I just had the flappers because I don't love talking and eating with a retainer... but after hearing your story maybe it's etter to have the retainer. :|

Hope you get something worked out, that's no fun. On the bright side, you're only 19 - I just got braces a year or so ago so I'll be 26+ when I'm finally done with treatment :roll: Also I'm nervous about implants... I have this mental image of two screws poking out and giant gaps for like 4 months...

XxNickiCxX

#18 Post by XxNickiCxX »

Yeah just back, she filed them down at the top and bottom so they arent affecting my bottom teeth (they tended to push them forward which was causing the poking my gum part) they still wobble a lot but a million times better than before. also one of them behind the tooth had a big hole in my gum where this had been happening she was like oh! you have a tooth coming in? um no several xrays have confirmed there will be no more teeth lol. was just all the stabbing. Said they should never have been left that way. But yeah it is a flapper thing on my wire. my teeth still hurt a lot so Im not sure how eating is with this size yet coz it hurts too much to bite.
So what age are you now? And yeah god so great to talk to someone in the same position. Im terrified about getting them. I agreed age 12 but now that its almost time I'm like EEEEK! lol. Not even about having the screw bit for ages the whole procedure. Never had an operation before so not sure if I want sedated or just local anaesthetics. Although I heard someone needed something like 22 of them so she couldnt feel it :( not a fan of needles but the thought of the one in my hand for sedation kinda seems worse to me. I dunno theyd be better whacking me over the head :P Sorry I do go on a bit but Im so happy to have found someone else like me :P not the only one :) also I havent seen my consultant in a good year or so and my orthodontist wont tell me anything about the implants. Don't know how long they will last or if I will need to replace them do I have to pay for them myself or will I get funding again. Feel kinda abandoned by them lol. Where do you live by the way? if its uk are you getting funding?

exm

#19 Post by exm »

That's good, a little disturbing that she asked if you had more teeth coming in. :lol:

I just turned 25. Right after my 26th birthday I should be looking at getting implants. I don't think congenital missing lateral(s) are all that rare, but I don't know anyone else with them either. Except there's a lady at work who I think was missing one, she has some kind of bridge.

Yeah when I was 13 the dentist said "you're missing two teeth, do you want to do anything about that?" My mom and I both pretty much shrugged and said no. Hated my teeth ever since, though my mom always thought they looked fine. I think she feels bad for not getting ortho treatment before now... I might have even been covered under her insurance (for the ortho, if not the implants).

From what I've read, the implants SHOULD last 10-15 years, if not longer. And then it would only be replacing the fake tooth that sits on the implant. But obviously, I haven't had any personal experience with that yet. Unfortunately, I live in the US, in Wisconsin, so I'm paying for orthodontics and implants completely out of pocket. :FeelSick: Because of the cost, I'm either going to get implants in a dental school ($1500ish per implant) or mexico ($1500ish per implant - there's some well-established clinics right over the border) versus the $5000-$8000 per implant in my hometown.

Lucky that you can get some funding! The cost is outrageous.. and all I want is to have the same amount of teeth that everyone else has!! :x

XxNickiCxX

#20 Post by XxNickiCxX »

I know it is ridiculous I was told £7000 per implant. So guess that's about right. I get all mybtreatmenr done at a dental hospital and school. Full of consultants and trainees but there pretty good. Except my orthodontist.lol I think most ppl hate theirs for the pain they cause us but mine is so clumsy I think she forgets it's a person she's working on. When I seen her the other day I was given a cut under my chin with a tool she was holding sevral cuts on my gums with her seriously long nails and a cut along my lip with my wire which bled a lot. She also enjoys messing my hair up I think lol. Well I was 10 and my dentist said you should have adult teeth by now those are still baby teeth took rays no adult teeth except the canines which were heading for my very front teeth coz they had so much room. I used to have a slight gap between them and so 2 years later by the time I was refered to my consultant who is actually pretty great well the canines were about to hit so I got a daft little brace on those 2 to pull them together and got my baby lats out. So my big front ones wouldn't get knocked out. Not sure I was asked more told your going to lose your big teeth if we don't act now so were acting now. And by the time that happened well the canines came in in the gaps a couple years later like fully. Looked horrific with extra canines. One was actually facing the wrong way 180 degrees the wrong way so hadnthat turned round. They joked about it relapsing or whatever how they would love to see that on that tooth. They do a lot of case studies there i was like eh no. Lol but it looked like the hunchback of notredam that tooth lol. Till it was fixed thank god :) and then got the baby canines out jog ones pulled back and here I am :p well she decided to f things up more in between elastic not being kept on in places so loads of little gaps appeared and when they took me retainer of my front 2 teeth god they became bucked and the gap between them :o could have fitted another one in! Well they're getting pulled togather again that's the worst of the pain today those 2. So that's pretty much my life story age 10 - almost 19. Even though I was told it would all be done by 18 :( and that's good then that there's not more surgery when they have to get replaced I guess :) but yeah I think any problems with your teeth does seriously affect your confidence it's something other pol notice quite quickly when you talk etc and lol the mess you get into when you eat. I guess I'm used to it but still at times when I had my gaps felt like ppl would judge me for not taking care of my teeth like it was my fault I had together them pulled out. Which obviously it's not. Also all the years of pain and weird looking teeth I find that I have no sympathy for ppl who don't look after their teeth and don't get anythig done about it. Not the nicest way to be but I guess like it wouldn't take them that long to get theirs fixed sorta thing... Yeah I've just woken up so a lot of this might not make sense lol :p

Audra

#21 Post by Audra »

I just got an implant placed 2 weeks ago. The cost was $2520.00. The ct scan that was required beforehand was $340.00. I also had to have a stent created by my dentist (before the CT scan) and I believe that was around $200.00

I think the cost most people approximate for an "implant" usually includes the crown that will be necessary afterwards. I will get the crown in about 4 months. I'm not sure at the point what my dentist charges for that.

XxNickiCxX

#22 Post by XxNickiCxX »

Hi Audra

it's an expensive business by the sounds of it. Makes me realise how lucky I am getting funding. So how did you find getting the implant in? And how is it now? Obviously it hasn't healed properly yet but how have you found it so far?

Audra

#23 Post by Audra »

It was super easy. Actually easier than the initial extraction. Dr. gave me freezing just like for a filling. The implant took maybe 20 minutes or so. When the freezing wore off, I was a bit achy, but was eating normally by the next day. Just had to be careful not to eat anything with seeds etc. I was not allowed to brush the surgical area for a week, but I could brush the teeth around it. Stitches started to dissolve within a few days. At my post-op this past Tuesday (16 days post) he said it looked great and I was healing really well. It seemed fully healed to me after about a week actually. In 4 months he'll test to see if it's integrated properly and if so, I get to see my dentist about getting the crown.

XxNickiCxX

#24 Post by XxNickiCxX »

God that sounds pretty easy. I dunno to me they made it out like a huge deal. I guess they don't get to do it often lol. That's actually put my mind at rest quite a bit so thank you for that :) how do they check it's integrated? Another scan?

exm

#25 Post by exm »

Audra - Do you have anything in the space in the meantime? Like a fake tooth or a retainer?

Audra

#26 Post by Audra »

No, it's a molar that you can't really tell is missing when I smile, so I don't have a fake tooth.

My essix retainer is made so that it retains each tooth on either side of the extraction side, then the retainer covers the extraction site. So it covers each tooth and then is melted down I guess so it's just high enough to cover my gum tissue over the implant.