Haven't worn retainer in over a year?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: You must make a post within 12 HOURS of registering, or your account will be deleted. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board IMMEDIATELY. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering. We just ask that if you do register, please plan to post a message within 12 hours so that we know that your registration is not a "junk" or "spam" registration.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

heavhay

Haven't worn retainer in over a year?

#1 Postby heavhay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 pm

I got my braces off about two years ago. I was given a top retainer & bottom retainer. Everything was going good & I was wearing my retainers as I was supposed to until after 6 months of having my braces off, I accidentally flushed my lower retainer down the toilet.

I didn't want to go back to the ortho for a new lower retainer because I didn't want to pay the +$200 for one. I also figured that it wouldn't really be that serious because they're my lower teeth & not nearly as visible as my top ones. I still wear my top retainer every night & my top teeth are still nice.

My bottom teeth have shifted a little after not wearing the retainer the past year and a half. One tooth in particular has shifted back a lot. I'm a perfectionist & not having "perfect" teeth is annoying me. I think about it all the time & its gotten to the point where I just really want to fix it before it gets even worse.

My question is do you think that the orthodontist will fit me for another retainer or make me go through braces again? Would he be able to after the bottom teeth not having the retainer for a year & a half? I honestly wouldn't want to go through braces again, mainly because of the cost.. I know I won't know for sure until I go to the ortho, but I just wanted to hear some opinions & if anyone else has dealt with this situation before.

FlyByNight

Re: Haven't worn retainer in over a year?

#2 Postby FlyByNight » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am

The only way to make a retainer is to use a mold of your teeth. If you went to get a retainer, it would retain the current position of your teeth. The only way would be to get braces again. If it's not too bad, your ortho could probably bend a Hawley retainer to push it back into place. Your lower teeth are actually more prone to relapse because the roots are a lot smaller in the front teeth. Many people get a permanent bonded retainer to the bottom after treatment. If you get it reversed, I would look into one.

djspeece

Re: Haven't worn retainer in over a year?

#3 Postby djspeece » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 am

If he has the original impressions he may be able to make you another retainer to see if it could bring your teeth back to where they were when you were debraced. However, he may judge that the movement required and the sudden pressure on your now -shifted teeth might be dangerous. I'm not an ortho so I'm guessing, like the other others. The only way is to go back to him and explore the options. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Return to “Metal Mouth Forum”