Bite progression during treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelleyt

Bite progression during treatment

#1 Post by Shelleyt »

Has anyone had their orthodontist set their bite at a "less desirable" bite during treatment? I am nine months in and started with a minor overbite, but quickly just from teeth shifting and wearing bite blocks this entire time, it developed into an edge to edge bite. She has mentioned a couple of times that she hasn't started working on my bite on purpose and has kept it edge to edge on purpose. Has anyone had this experience? I only ask because it's been pretty uncomfortable recently- can't chew, bite into anything, etc and have had jaw pain.

When did your ortho start "working" on getting your bite where it should be?

Tyrantblade

Re: Bite progression during treatment

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

I can't say that my bite was ever purposely made worse, I think they started working on really getting my bite together probably after 9 months or maybe a year, at first it was more about correcting the bad angle my teeth had, and bringing down my Canines.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Shelleyt

#3 Post by Shelleyt »

I'm a canine problem child too! so you're right- a lot of the focus has been on making space and bringing those canines in (it's my lower ones that are the problem) but the bite is so awful right now that I can hardly wait to get moving on that. No one ever said it was fun to be patient I guess..

Tyrantblade

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

Shelleyt wrote:I'm a canine problem child too! so you're right- a lot of the focus has been on making space and bringing those canines in (it's my lower ones that are the problem) but the bite is so awful right now that I can hardly wait to get moving on that. No one ever said it was fun to be patient I guess..
Well I didn't think my canines were too high up (my upper canines), but I guess they were.

Mostly though most of my upper teeth were at a really bad angle and my Orthodontist was basically stunned I had such a bad open bite and probably was wondering how I could even eat (though they didn't say that, but the 1st Orthodontist I had a consultation with did literally say that); but luckily it didn't start like that and I didn't need anything other than braces and elastics (and a few times Powerchains); and I'm almost done.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17