How often are you're checkups (Invisalign)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Twalker

How often are you're checkups (Invisalign)

#1 Post by Twalker »

Hi everyone,

Currently getting various quotes from orthos and cosmetic dentists. I've found an orthodontist I'm happy with & the quote is reasonable, my treatment with Invisalign should take 12 months, the only thing that's niggling me is that check ups are stated as every 12 weeks, this seems quite a long time though no? I always have been told 5-7 weeks for check ups with Braces, is this length of time common?

Thanks,

braces25

Re: How often are you're checkups (Invisalign)

#2 Post by braces25 »

I dont personally have invisalign but my boss and friend at work has invisalign right now and their appointments are both 12 weeks. It sounds normal. I have braces and my appointments are every 6 weeks. I think with braces the appointments are closer together because they have the wire and ligatures that have to be changed. With invisalign your just changing trays.

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

Just like braces25 said: traditional braces appointments are closer together because wires and ligatures need to be changed. Single ligatures typically exert good force for 6-8 weeks. Power chains last 4-6. Once the ligatures or chains have stretched out, they're not exerting the force that keeps the wire activated and working so they have to be changed. Just like wearing elastics throughout the day...they lose elasticity and movement stops.

Invisalign treatment is mostly patient driven: the patient is responsible for wearing aligners for the appropriate amount of time during the day, changing aligners as prescribed (every week or two), etc. The orthodontist will see you less frequently to make sure things are progressing as they should with the aligners and make any refinements needed along the way. They don't have to maintain as many appliances as traditional braces patients.

Twalker

#4 Post by Twalker »

Thank you very much for the replies, realised after posting there is a specific Invisalign section!
Thanks again :)

lilyflower

#5 Post by lilyflower »

Twalker wrote:Hi everyone,

Currently getting various quotes from orthos and cosmetic dentists. I've found an orthodontist I'm happy with & the quote is reasonable, my treatment with Invisalign should take 12 months, the only thing that's niggling me is that check ups are stated as every 12 weeks, this seems quite a long time though no? I always have been told 5-7 weeks for check ups with Braces, is this length of time common?

Thanks,
Every 8 weeks but that's mostly to check things are progressing as they should. My appointments take less than 15 minutes
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130