Powerchains without ligs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

threescompany

Powerchains without ligs?

#1 Post by threescompany »

I had my 1st adjustment where they put on a powerchain. I'm noticing in people's photos that many have ligs and powerchains, but I have just the chain. So I'm curious, do you have both?
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40

Plumcore

Re: Powerchains without ligs?

#2 Post by Plumcore »

Nope, i only have powerchains on my upper sides.

Gennie 50

#3 Post by Gennie 50 »

On my last adjustment, I got a double powerchain. The first powerchain was put in, then the archwire, then the second power chain....ouch.
On top of all that I have to continue with my elastics. :BigGrin:

11 months with 8 more to go. Can't wait. I got my braces on at the tender age of 50

Hang in there. It does get better.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

threescompany wrote:I had my 1st adjustment where they put on a powerchain. I'm noticing in people's photos that many have ligs and powerchains, but I have just the chain. So I'm curious, do you have both?
Do you have self litigating brackets? If so, you wouldn't need ligs with your chain.

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

When I first got my non-sl ceramic brackets, I needed ligs. After a few months, he removed the ligs and from then on, I've just been wearing a powerchain. Sometimes you may see people with ligs AND powerchains because the ortho only puts on a partial powerchain, to accomplish whatever he/she wants to accomplish.

DrJasonKTam

#6 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Power chain alone can hold the wire to the bracket. You don't need elastic ligs as well.

Sometimes, steel ties are placed on some of the teeth to prevent rotations, and the power chain placed over top. This may happen if you are wearing elastics, or on the tooth at the terminal end of a chain.

It is possible to have ligatures on one arch and chain on the other. It is all going to depend on the types of movements your orthodontist is trying to achieve and what unwanted movements we are trying to avoid. Hope this helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

That is so weird to me that you can have a powerchain and not a lig...I guess we learn something new everyday!

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

Snowglobe32 wrote:That is so weird to me that you can have a powerchain and not a lig...I guess we learn something new everyday!
All a powerchain is, is a bunch of ligs linked together.

sadpanda

#9 Post by sadpanda »

I just got upper and lower powerchains, no ligs. Both go all the way from the last tooth to the other last tooth. It's been the most painful thing since getting braces, more painful than that first week even. At least they are nice colors though. :BigTeethGrin:

threescompany

#10 Post by threescompany »

No self ligating brackets here, just plain old scratchy ceramics. I got a thicker wire and chains top and bottom. On the top the chain stops at the first premolar b/c the ortho is trying to get that tooth to rotate. So I guess having the chain end there pulls on it. The last bracket has a regular lig. The way the assistant cut the end of the chain at my molar on top left an extremely sharp point! It's like a razor against my cheek. :shock:

My ortho only seems to offer clear elastics. At least, no colors have ever been offered to me! The chains have been on a week and so far I only see slight discoloration on the very ends.
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40