What is this spring device in my mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emford

What is this spring device in my mouth?

#1 Post by emford »

Hi everyone,

I know I should have asked my ortho this question but I didn't look in the mirror until after I had gotten home from my last adjustment. For the next phase of my treatment, my ortho is shifting my midline back into place. I have a new apparatus in my mouth that looks like a tiny spring or coil inserted between 2 of my teeth. Does any one know what this is called or have any idea how it works?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Push-coil or open-coil springs are usually used to push two teeth apart. The spring is put onto the archwire in a compressed (squashed) state and as it tries to go back to its original state, it exerts force on the two teeth.

You can also get closed-coil springs which work the opposite way. They are put on stretched and as they try to regain their closed shape, they pull teeth together.

Silverware

#3 Post by Silverware »

I had these in my mouth for about 6 months straight. They worked very quickly for me. My ortho had to move half of my bottom teeth over a bit, so every appt he moved the spring over as each tooth moved along.

One thing I suggest is getting some dental wax, as the spring can be pretty rough on your skin if it's in a place where it will be rubbed up against.

emford

#4 Post by emford »

Lisa 65 and Sliverware,

Thanks so much for the information! It sounds like you two are right on because my ortho is trying to move 4 of my teeth over just a little to fix my midline. So now I know what to expect; he's going to probably move the spring over next month. Now I'm going to start speculating and estimating when I can get these braces off. I'm going to drive myself crazy, lol.