Upper or lower - which is worse for speech?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HelenC

Upper or lower - which is worse for speech?

#1 Post by HelenC »

Anyone who has had the upper and lower fitted at different times - did you find one was worse for speech than other?

I have only got brackets on upper teeth at minute and have had no problems with speech, tongue or eating. Wondering if it is going to get a LOT worse when the bottom brackets go on (I realise I am in for some teeth pain when I get wired up)...

Shelleyt

Re: Upper or lower - which is worse for speech?

#2 Post by Shelleyt »

It may depend on the person, but for me I can tell the uppers affect me way more than the lowers. I am 4 weeks in and no longer have a lisp, however. I think the uppers and lowers combined make everything just a bit more slurry as opposed to lispy.

HelenC

#3 Post by HelenC »

Thanks Shelleyt

I just want to get everything on now so I know what I am dealing with...

Shelleyt

#4 Post by Shelleyt »

I was super excited to get started and was like you and just wanted it all on! I am glad to say it's been a month and I am almost completely adjusted! Speech is almost perfect (or at least it is to others) and I have no pain other than some weird adjustments with my changing bite and some discomfort during the night.

iob

#5 Post by iob »

I agree with Shelleyt. The uppers affected my speech much more than the lowers. The lowers mostly affected comfort over the first few weeks. If the uppers brackets that you already have haven't impacted your speech, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones to breeze through without any initial lisp.