Power chain = Power Lisp

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinkFullOfDinner

Power chain = Power Lisp

#1 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

This is my first time with a power chain on the top front and it's causing a pretty bad case of speech relapse. Not as bad as when you first get the linguals on, but it sounds to me like I'm at the same stage as about week 2 if I can even remember that far back. I've had a power chain on the bottom forever but it never did a thing to my speech. I really, REALLY hope this doesn't take as long to shake as the first time, but as the day is going along it seems to be getting worse not better. That's exactly what would happen when I was first getting used to them.

I assume others have had power chains used on their upper linguals. If it hit your speech (hard) how long did it take to return to "normal." If this is going to take more than a couple of days, I may seriously have to rethink a few meetings next week that I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing sounding like I do right now.

EWUgal15

Re: Power chain = Power Lisp

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

I didn't have lingual brackets, so I can't relate....but practice does make perfect, so hopefully more time speaking will help you adjust! Retainers sometimes cause a lisp too, so be prepared for that! Good luck!

Kalia

#3 Post by Kalia »

I too had a power chain fitted to my upper linguals just yesterday, and have been feeling the lisp a bit more today -- so while I was happy to see this post, I'm afraid I can't answer your question just yet. However I've found that practising my "s" sounds and "hissing" while sitting at my desk this morning, is already helping to make the sound come more naturally, (even if it sounds a bit silly!) I'm guessing that the power chain changes the shape of the roof of your mouth yet again, so your tongue just has to take some time to learn how to make sounds correctly again against this new shape.

SinkFullOfDinner

#4 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

@kalia - I was so surprised to see someone else having the exact same experience within a day of each other. There seems to be so few people on the lingual board that I almost didn't ask the question.

I was definitely practicing yesterday (thanks also @EWU). I switched things up this morning and did a little "hissing" like you'd mentioned, but had to stop because the look that my dog was giving me (you know, the head slightly askew, ears up, "what the hell are you doing" look) was making me laugh too much. The combination of laughing and hissing made me sound like some kind of cartoon villain. Give it a try and tell me I'm wrong! I would take a break then try again, but that look is in my head now and I can't do it without immediately cracking up. It has forever ruined your advice, I think!

Today's a bit better, but not that much. We should both be pros at this, having already nailed it once at the beginning.

SinkFullOfDinner

#5 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Everything sounded back to normal by yesterday, so three days tops. phew. Basically the mild panic was totally unwarranted and it was no big deal, like most of these things. Hope you had the same quick fix, @kalia.

Kalia

#6 Post by Kalia »

Oh that's really good that it eased off. :) But yes, mine did as well, and quite quickly too -- hence I completely forgot about this thread! I love the imagery of your dog though, I can just imagine it. :lol: