Speech relapse

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flaav001

Speech relapse

#1 Post by flaav001 »

Hi all,

I'm just over three months into my lingual braces journey. After about 6 weeks i got my speech under control, but recently about 4 days after a recent adjustment I've back fracked and struggling again with talking and also tongue soreness. Is this common?

I really want to get back to where I was!!

Looking for reassurance :)

iob

Re: Speech relapse

#2 Post by iob »

I've had similar short term setbacks. The tongue soreness usually happened after a wire change and seemed to be caused by the end of the wire being bent or crimped at a difference distance or angle compared to the previous wire. The soreness was in the back. It was also a little sore in the front after they added a power chain to the lowers.

As for speech relapse, that seemed to happen when they added a power chain to the uppers, or when the things above caused my tongue to get sore. Elastics took some relearning as well. Also, whenever my mouth gets dry from either too much talking or not drinking enough water.

The good news is that it was short term, and wire changes and first times with power chains or elastics only happen occasionally during your process. Good luck getting back to where you were over the next few days!