Worrying - less than a week until lower lingual's fitted

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

Re: Worrying - less than a week until lower lingual's fitted

#16 Post by iob »

I resorted to having a 10-count supply of the inexpensive, boil & form mouth guards on hand, and as soon as the current one felt even the least bit tight from teeth shifting, I tossed it and made a new one. It might last a few days or a couple of weeks. The key is to not use one that forces your teeth back to an old position.

paleosam

#17 Post by paleosam »

iob wrote:I resorted to having a 10-count supply of the inexpensive, boil & form mouth guards on hand, and as soon as the current one felt even the least bit tight from teeth shifting, I tossed it and made a new one. It might last a few days or a couple of weeks. The key is to not use one that forces your teeth back to an old position.
Thanks, that's helpful!

paleosam

#18 Post by paleosam »

A week has gone now. I'm not really thinking about my brace too often. My speech has plateaued and doesn't feel like it's improving. I just have a lisp.
No more tenderness though and I am pretty much eating whatever I want. Bacon, burgers, sandwiches, chocolate etc. I still feel like its all about to go wrong and that it's almost too good to be true. I hope in another week my speech will be a little better.

paleosam

#19 Post by paleosam »

Quick update. Still no problems at all. Eating steak, bacon sarnies, chips. Even a snickers bar. Had my first apt today. Had a change of ligatures (is that the right spelling?) so I can feel a very mild tension now (2 out of 10). I have two more appointments in July and August and then I will have the upper brace fitted in September. My speech has improved. Nobody else can hear anything unless I mention it. I can still hear the lisp all the time but its much better than it was and as it only appears to be me who can hear it I don't mind. So far so good. Still a long way to go!

paleosam

#20 Post by paleosam »

It's not all been a bed of roses over the past month. My last bracket fell off (this had not yet been connected to the wire) and the wire on both sides has become a little loose so I've had some discomfort. It's been managable though. Back to the otho on Thursday to have the bracket put back on and the wire sorted.

DJW

#21 Post by DJW »

Good luck, I had them for 2 years without major problems

anarysse

#22 Post by anarysse »

You're eating steak already? I'm so jealous!! Did you have to chew differently? How's your treatment now? I have 4 gaps where my extractions are and an open/cross bite. So I'm assuming that's why I'm still on liquids and soft foods.

It's only been 3 weeks for me but I just found a loose bracket on my second to last top right molar. Did you find out how yours broke off? I can't figure out if it's because I've only been chewing on that side, I'm brushing too hard, or clenching while I sleep. I guess I tried too soon to eat chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM :cry:

Also, did you figure out your mouth guard situation? I tried the SleepRight mouth guard but it didn't fit right so I've just been hoping I don't clench my teeth.