Shaving of the sides of the teeth...

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Juliet584

Shaving of the sides of the teeth...

#1 Post by Juliet584 »

My two front teeth stick out a lot and this is largely because of the shape of them - they're quite big and curve outwards at the edges. So My ortho is going to shave the outer edges to make them straighter so that they align properly once the linguals start moving them. Has anyone else had this done?

Obviously I trust my ortho and I'll do what needs to be done, but I'm just aware that once this has been done they'll never look the same again, my original real tooth shape will be changed forever, not just the placing of them. For some reason this freaks me out, am I the only one? I'm freaking out about nothing, right?

Gerbera

Re: Shaving of the sides of the teeth...

#2 Post by Gerbera »

Hi,

I've had this done to my lower and upper front four teeth for crowding (had a little done today actually). I understand your concern, I was too and worried that I would end up with slim peg teeth! But I had to trust that the Ortho knew what she was doing and would do a good job. They only take off a fraction of a mm, so should be barely noticeable. Unfortunately, it's unavoidable if there isn't enough space or the teeth are shaped in a way that prevents alignment.

Juliet584

Re: Shaving of the sides of the teeth...

#3 Post by Juliet584 »

Yes! The "peg teeth" thing is exactly what scares me, even though I know they only take off a millimetre or so. But I trust him and it's the only way I'll get the smile I want, so... I'm focusing on the positives! I keep looking at pictures of people with perfect teeth and daydreaming about how I'll look in 12-18 months time. It'll all be worth it.