Q: Are elastics on linguals brackets annoying enough that you'd prefer exterior buttons?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

Q: Are elastics on linguals brackets annoying enough that you'd prefer exterior buttons?

#1 Post by iob »

Linguals have been no big deal comfort-wise, but with elastics coming up I'm wondering if they get in the way enough or are enough of a tongue hassle on the inside to just prefer the option of buttons on the outside. I'm assuming that the elastics are pretty visible either way, so I wouldn't be giving up any huge secret at that point. Suggestions from actual past experience? Thx.

winwired

Re: Q: Are elastics on linguals brackets annoying enough that you'd prefer exterior buttons?

#2 Post by winwired »

There seem to be a very large number of elastics configurations, so it's hard to give a generic answer to this one.

In my particular case, I have buttons on the external lower back molars and the elastic goes from these to a hook on the lingual bracket of the incisor. It can get pretty tight for space on the inside (especially if you have a small mouth, small teeth and power chains) but actually I have found that wearing elastics actually helps with the tolerance a bit; the elastics seem to stop my tongue from going mad and broken against all the brackets.

iob

Re: Q: Are elastics on linguals brackets annoying enough that you'd prefer exterior buttons?

#3 Post by iob »

Thanks for the input! Good point regarding the various configurations. I hadn't thought of that, but don't know yet which one(s) it will involve. Your point about it getting "pretty tight for space on the inside" is what has me leaning toward buttons on the outside.

Happy to hear that you had the side benefit of some tongue-taming (never would have thought of that either), but that hasn't been an issue for me, fortunately. I imagine that anything other than a basic configuration would simply result in me preferring an outside setup, as well. I'll need to ask what the ortho anticipates. Unless I hear something unexpected about the downside of setting up the elastics on the outside, I think I'll lean that way. Again, thanks! I assumed the linguals forum was pretty thin and wasn't sure the question would find anyone in time to benefit from their experience.

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

I traditional braces with Class II triangles and I can say that the elastics on the outside tend to dig into my cheeks. Not deep enough to cut but enough to be super uncomfortable and and give the sensation of peeling skin back. There's a thread over in the Metal Mouth Forum from someone whose elastics are actually cutting their cheeks.

iob

#5 Post by iob »

Thanks again Win & EWU. So we went with the buttons on the outside, and it's only on one side currently. It's early, but I don't notice any harsh scratching or cutting. Definitely can feel the additional pull and can tell it will be a bit sore for the first couple of days.

I think that I'll prefer this setup. It really doesn't seem to be that noticeable when talking, though it obviously is when smiling/laughing. Having them lingual-to-lingual, on the other hand, would be more noticeable I think since they'd be more inwardly located instead of snugged up on the side against the cheek. When the elastic is not in, the button just looks similar to the Invisalign attachments that I've seen posted. Not exactly since it's more round, but close enough that anyone that notices it may assume that's what it is.