Incognito braces journal!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Startedout

Incognito braces journal!

#1 Post by Startedout »

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and to braces so far I've had 4 wisdom teeth pulled and 2 molers pulled in the front to make space, after I was healed and feeling better I had an appointment to have my x-ray done for incognito braces sooo I waited about a month and on Nov 12 I got my incognito braces top and bottom put on because I have crowding and my canines( I think that's what they are called ) or fangs as I like to call them are sticking out.

Well I have an appointment on the 4th of December I do believe for my first adjustment, honestly I feel a bit discouraged I've been reading everywhere people are saying that their teeth started moving withing a week or 2 and I haven't seen anything exciting with my teeth to give me the slightest boost of encouragement that something is happening and to stick with it, perhaps I'm not being realistic to hope things will happen so soon?

iob

Re: Incognito braces journal!

#2 Post by iob »

Hi - I wouldn't worry too much about seeing no movement within the first couple of weeks. Some things happen faster than others and everyone's different, but eventually everything gets to where it's supposed to be. It just does. I didn't notice much movement until the 5th/6th week - mostly leveling out the height of incisors, which I was told is a pretty easy/fast maneuver.

BUT, I really started to notice movement after my first follow up appointment. At that follow up the wires were not changed, but the way they were tied in was. With Incognito, the ortho eventually (or maybe sometimes right away?) uses a "double over tie (?)" technique. This apparently really cranks the wire down into the slot and engages it. Even though the wires weren't changed out, I could really feel the difference between the standard tie in from before and the new technique. I saw a lot more movement starting two weeks after that. So, you may see more noticeable changes after that, as well. Hopefully so, but even if it's more subtle don't worry, they'll move and when they do you'll think it's pretty amazing.

Startedout

#3 Post by Startedout »

Thank you that makes me feel better, I was starting to think there was something wrong lol.

Yesterday my wire came loose, I called my ortho and told them they had me come in asap and they just cut it off and When I go for my follow up tomorrow they will change it, sooo I'm hoping they put one in that does more than this wire.

Also id like to post pictures but it won't let me is there another way?

Startedout

#4 Post by Startedout »

Had my follow up today they added a power chain to close some space and to create space for the front crowding, they also added the same flexible wire to the bottom and they added to more brackets that came in today hopefully I'll start seeing some serious results lol, I'm just so anxious and yes impatient I just would like to see something. My next appointment is January 5 at that appointment they are going to do something to get one of my fangs to come in instead of pertruding forward!

Startedout

#5 Post by Startedout »

I'm kind of concerned now January 12 will be 2 months and I'm really not seeing any progress I have my appointment on the 5th of January where they are going to put 2 more brackets on teeth that didn't have before because of the space issue but I'm not seeing anything that moved enough for brackets. Ugh has anyone else gone through this? Im really hoping they don't reschedule me because of this.

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

Hey startedout, I just saw your story since I don't check the linguals board regularly. Congratulations on getting braced! I can tell the novelty has worn off for you and you're eager to see some changes. I'll look forward to seeing your photos (you'll be allowed to post photos here after you make 7-10 posts and your username turns green) and pointing out the changes I see. If I had to guess, I would say that things *are* moving as they should be, but you're really hung up on the fangs issue and it's clouding your vision. You need to know that the canine teeth have super long roots and are pretty slow movers, so be patient with them. In the meantime, take lots of pictures and I bet you'll see your lower incisors beginning to unravel already!

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

Something that helps a lot of people see movement is seeing their wire. With traditional braces. the problems appear kind of exaggerated because you can see the wires and all the weird bends that it took to get the wires into the brackets. As time goes, the wire returns to its original shape and the changes are much more apparent. That doesn't happen with lingual braces. Don't be discouraged though. You're still early on. Getting new wires means you're making progress. Trust your orthodontist.

iob

#8 Post by iob »

Worry not. You're only five weeks into this thing. Your teeth may try to put up an early fight, but ultimately the wire always wins that battle. After the wire and brackets (and cell biology) do their thing, your teeth will surrender like the big sissies that they are.

latebracefaceINCOG

#9 Post by latebracefaceINCOG »

So GLAD I found everyone....fitted for full Incognitos top and bottom in 3 days....little nervous.

Startedout1

#10 Post by Startedout1 »

Hey there I'm sorry I haven't been able to log back in on my actual account for whatever reason it wouldn't let me so I'm going to continue to update with new account but on this thread.

Well the teeth have started to straighten out a lot thank you guys for the support and the encouragement early January I went in and they added one bracket and wow did it ever make a difference, I have been keeping a time lapse with pictures that I'll post once I can on the forum.

Startedout1

#11 Post by Startedout1 »

[quote="latebracefaceINCOG"]So GLAD I found everyone....fitted for full Incognitos top and bottom in 3 days....little nervous.[/quote]

Hey there congrats!

It will feel weird when they put them on and make sure you get lots of wax from them, I found in the beginning the wax was my best friend I put it all over to help my tongue from scrapping against the brackets/wire. You will find that you might lisp too, but not to worry it does settle down after you get adjusted to the brackets lol. I hope it all goes well!

Startedout1

#12 Post by Startedout1 »

Oooh I completely forgot to mention I have an appointment on feb 12 they are planning on changing my wire currently I'm using the flexible thin wire that bends really easy I'm not sure that the next wire will be like. Any ideas?

latebracefaceINCOG

#13 Post by latebracefaceINCOG »

StartedOut,

THanks!! Yeah weird is right!! I am 7 days in now and just the back ends of the wire are poking my tongue, but the ortho fixes this tomorrow. Do you have the blue Alastik's rubber bands on the brackets? THey started me out on the regular rubber bands, but i am supposed to get Alastik's, which are supposed to be the equivalent of a power chain all around....a little nervous about that...it is keeping me distracted from worrying about the next wire :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Startedout1

#14 Post by Startedout1 »

[quote="latebracefaceINCOG"]StartedOut,

THanks!! Yeah weird is right!! I am 7 days in now and just the back ends of the wire are poking my tongue, but the ortho fixes this tomorrow. Do you have the blue Alastik's rubber bands on the brackets? THey started me out on the regular rubber bands, but i am supposed to get Alastik's, which are supposed to be the equivalent of a power chain all around....a little nervous about that...it is keeping me distracted from worrying about the next wire :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

That's good it's poking you ( well not good cause it hurts) but it just means the teeth are starting to loosen up and move! Yayy!

They changed my wire today to a more thicker wire and let me tell you it's sooo tight I have a lisp all over again lol. Otherwise it's going good and hopefully I can post pictures soon.

Startedout1

#15 Post by Startedout1 »

So I've got an appt on March 2 to get my bottom wire changed, what does the second wire do exactly? The ortho said it'll straighten out my teeth even more but it's slower in movement?