Will repositioning brackets compromise pre-formed wire results?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

Will repositioning brackets compromise pre-formed wire results?

#1 Post by iob »

I guess this question applies not only to Incognito treatments, but also SureSmile or other custom, pre-formed wire systems.

I went in for my appt and the ortho repositioned three brackets. I know this is normally pretty routine for most brackets that are used, but with Incognito the whole treatment plan is "pre-programmed," the arch wires are robotically pre-formed, and the brackets are setup in the lab and indirectly bonded. So, it seems to me that other than rebonding a bracket that pops off, one shouldn't be tinkering with bracket positioning, right? Isn't the original setup part of the high tech magic that you're paying for?

Maybe it's no big deal, but it occurred to me that the subsequent wires were all bent with the assumption that the brackets would be in a certain location. My concern is that repositioning anything with these systems has a subsequent domino effect and might cause a result other than what was modeled in the lab and approved.

I know I should have just asked my ortho (and I will...next time), but I thought the question might sound like a bit of a challenge or a "does this mean you screwed up earlier" question. Not my intention.

Have any of the Incognito (or similar pre-formed arch wire) people on the forum had brackets repositioned, and did you have similar questions that were answered to your satisfaction? Thx.

Benny

Re: Will repositioning brackets compromise pre-formed wire results?

#2 Post by Benny »

Maybe the repositioning is part of the original plan? This is definitely a question for the ortho anyway as we will just be guessing!