New to lingual braces - Is the wax ok to help the pain?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SteffBd

New to lingual braces - Is the wax ok to help the pain?

#1 Post by SteffBd »

Hi I just got my lingual braces fitted and seem to be going through what everyone else is describing - fine at first but then difficulty speaking and a very sore tongue. Only have the bottom ones fitted now, brackets and wires, and am wondering just what I've let myself in for!

I know there is probably a mention of this somewhere else on the site, but how much wax is ok to use? Last night I just coated them entirely in wax but the dental hygienist said to try not to? And to make sure I could wean myself off it...

Basically I'm just wondering how everyone else coped with the initial pain to your tongue?

xGa12yx

Re: New to lingual braces - Is the wax ok to help the pain?

#2 Post by xGa12yx »

I think the reason why he/she said try not to use the wax is because you got to let your mouth get use to having them in your mouth. In order for it to feel better they need to get scraped up and cut up and develop a nice tough protector over them. So I think it's best to lay off the wax for a bit so your mouth can get use to it and then start using wax so those canker sores can heal nicely. I remember using a lil bit of a numbing creme made for toothaches and canker sores in replacement of wax. Well, hope I have been somewhat of a help. Goodluck on your braces.