Swallowed bracket!!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carochelsea

Swallowed bracket!!

#1 Post by carochelsea »

Feeling pretty dumb right now lol. I was out for dinner with my boyfriend and I bit into some toasted pita bread--pita bread, of all things!!--and felt a small click on final molar on the upper right side, but thought my wire or o-ring had just snapped, and was already swallowing my bite so continued swallowing. But then some exploring with my tongue on that tooth revealed that the bracket had completely come off and I had swallowed it!! This bracket is tiny because that tooth is really small so it's no wonder that I swallowed without feeling it. So I went to the bathroom immediately and actually tried to make myself vomit it back up :( very unhappy experience but that didn't work. I'm wondering now if this has happened to anyone else, and if so how much replacing the lost bracket cost. I'm on vacation now and I can't call my ortho but I've emailed them to let them know it's happened, so hopefully we can fix it ASAP!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

anxiousgirl

Re: Swallowed bracket!!

#2 Post by anxiousgirl »

Don't make yourself vomit it back up!!!!!

The ortho gave me a sheet of paper of emergencies and said that accidently swallowing a bracket is not harmful. Unless you start to experience a reaction of course.

My ortho personally has a policy of breaking/losing three for free and then he charges for them but im not sure how much sorry.

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013