How is your ortho dealing with elastics/rubber bands?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bandit

How is your ortho dealing with elastics/rubber bands?

#1 Post by bandit »

Hello! I'm new to the board but I've had my Incognito since June.

So I just got my elastics/rubber bands Tuesday. I was told initially that I could have them on the inside. He explained to me Tuesday that he thought it would hurt more so he recommended I put them on the outside. I agreed.

Well, I have this HUGE clear buttons on the outside of my teeth along with the elastics. Now people are noticing my braces. Which I'm ok with but isn't that the point of paying all that $$$ for the Incognito? Another problem that I'm having is that the huge buttons are grabbing my lip every time I talk, smile, or eat. I have enormous ulcers building on my lips now. :cry:

I'm wondering how you are dealing with the elastics? Have you had a similar experience? Do you have any recommendations for me that I can take back to my ortho?

Thanks in advance!!

lilone

Re: How is your ortho dealing with elastics/rubber bands?

#2 Post by lilone »

I'll be interested in the responses to this because I wondered if I end up getting Lingual braces if it will eliminate my chances of getting a TAD to help push a molar back. It makes sense that your ortho is doing elastics on the outside, but I wonder why he went with buttons over a TAD? Is it because of the lingual?

bandit

#3 Post by bandit »

What is a TAD? Should I go back in and ask for this? What I have are huge (sort of) clear buttons. Or at least thats what I call them. They are HUGE. I already have two large ulcers on the inside of my upper lip. Also, when I smile I feel like my upper lip gets caught on them. I need to know what my other options are. Sometimes I feel that my ortho is only doing what is easiest for him to work on. Not whats best for me and the reasons why I got the Incognito.

Volare

#4 Post by Volare »

I have had tons of clear buttons all over the front sides of my teeth for the past two years. If I had known I would have so many buttons on the front I likely would have just gotten conventional braces. Some folks are able to put their elastics on the lingual side, but on most of my teeth the brackets are so tight to the gums that there is no way. If you are able to put your elastics on the lingual side, I think you should definitely wear them there and get rid of the buttons!
I had my top arch wired for 3 years, 9 months, 3 weeks and 3 days with iBraces
I had my bottom arch wired for 3 years, 8 months, 1 week, and 4 days with iBraces
with Clarity conventional brackets top and bottom

jessicamay

#5 Post by jessicamay »

I have upper linguals and lower ceramics so my elastics stretch from the outside of my bottom molar to the lingual bracket on my incisors - the elastics I have are black and havent caused a problem at all, nor are they visible :-D

This is to fix an overbite, hopefully you have similar options if your issue is also overbite?