Treatment Longer Than Expected :-(

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jessicamay

Treatment Longer Than Expected :-(

#1 Post by jessicamay »

Hey guys!

So I'm usually a positive poster on here...but I've suffered a minor setback...

Originally when I went for a consultation (in November 2009) my ortho said that treatment would take around 12 months.

Well it's now pretty much exactly 12 months after I started treatment, and apparently I have another 2 adjustments and finally the de-bracing...so that translates to about 4 and a half more months...which is rubbish.

Has anyone else had a revised treatment time after the intial consult?

I have every confidence in the ortho, and I'm lucky to still have a relatively short treatment, but just feeling like I've put so much hard work and money into this that I deserve a break!!

My birthday is in May and I don't think I'll even be sorted by then :-(

Minor (very minor) plus side...I've been in elastics for 3 months now and have just discovered BLACK elastics, even less visible than the normal white ones with the linguals woo! I'm wearing them 24/7, stretched from one of my upper brackets to the outside of one of my molars on the bottom (I've got ceramic on the lower). I feel like I'm missing something whenever I take them off...although obviously I'll be glad when they go.

xx

lu lu

Re: Treatment Longer Than Expected :-(

#2 Post by lu lu »

Ahhh that sucks hun *big hugs*

I too would be gutted & it's all well & good me saying this becuase I know if my treatment time is extended ever so slightly I will be gutted & cry like a baby lol :oops: but then you have to remember what your ortho estimated was just that ... a guess & 2 adjustments out is nothing hun. That's pretty close I feel.

Why will it be another 4 & 1/2 months? Don't you go every 6 weeks roughly? Making it more like 3 months (still not that great but every little helps lol :D )

I wish I was only that far away rather than another whole year & more of torture :wink:

Good luck hun. Bet your teeth look amazing already :)

xx

P.s - I see you have no brace story on here. Post some piccies I'd lurve to see your nashers now & how they looked before :lol:
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

sharp

#3 Post by sharp »

well

i was told 24 to 30 months

coming up on 4 and a half years now

tnstafl

#4 Post by tnstafl »

I think it's pretty common for orthos to extend the expected treatment time. Everyone's mouth is different, and it's impossible to predict perfectly how things are going to go before treatment starts. Your orthodontist probably should have been clear with you that 12 months was only an estimate, and that things can take longer. On the flip side, I'm 12 months into what was supposed to have been an 18-month treatment, but my ortho says I could be finished as early as May or June. Good luck.

lunadali

#5 Post by lunadali »

I heard from someone who had braces that it is better to take it slow than to rush it because you want them off. I know it must feel like a total let down. If you could do a year, you can totally do 4 mos! (round it down, it sounds better)

upthebracket

#6 Post by upthebracket »

sharp wrote:well

i was told 24 to 30 months

coming up on 4 and a half years now
Get a second opinion?

Getting treatment extended is rubbish; I've been deliberately avoiding asking about whether I'm "on schedule" since it will only depress me if I'm not. Now I'm starting to see real changes though, it's a lot easier to bear.

jessicamay

#7 Post by jessicamay »

Good news - I get my final wire in 3 weeks then I'll be having a few adjustments in a short space of time....then I'm done!!

Its the elastics that have taken longer than expected, but now the end is in sight I'm a very happy bunny :-D

Thanks for your support guys!!!