I wouldn't recommend linguals

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CAlingual

I wouldn't recommend linguals

#1 Postby CAlingual » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm 7 months into my upper linguals. Should have been finished by now, but have two stubborn teeth that don't want to move.
I got linguals because being in my 30s, I didn't want visible train tracks, having done all that in my teens. I was another one of those people who were told by the orthodontist to stop wearing my retainer. Though I actually ignored him and continued for another year. I think my wisdom teeth and later removal of them made the teeth moving worse.

Everything I read said i would only have a slight temporary speech issue, but 7 months in I still can't talk properly. Everyone noticed at first and it felt pretty pointless to have paid extra for the linguals. My friends and colleagues are used to me now, but meeting new people means that strange look where they're wondering what's wrong with you.

I've been very careful but still had a couple of brackets come off and I'm fed up with the sore tongue that comes with every wire change.

Another issue is that my neck has become very saggy and wrinkly. I read about face changes but nothing about the neck! I assume it is because my jaw position has changed. I hope it is temporary because at the moment I'm very depressed looking in the mirror and considering surgery to lift it.

So in hindsight I think it would have been easier to go with the traintracks. Linguals were not invisible or even discreet for me.

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: I wouldn't recommend linguals

#2 Postby SinkFullOfDinner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough go at it. Linguals definitely aren't for everyone and every case, and unfortunately in the case of speech, you really don't know until it's too late.

I think orthos should discuss the potential impact and not downplay it. To do so is the same as hearing ceramic braces referred to as "almost invisible." Yeah, right. Some people breeze through the speech impact, others don't. I can say, however, that even with the longer dent that was put in my speech, I was happy to have chosen them. Now that my ortho has switched to ceramics to finish, I definitely appreciate the linguals.

What kind of brackets did your ortho use? The smaller, custom brackets (WIN, Incognito, etc) are said to have less of an impact, as you might expect, but some of the other brackets are bigger and might have played a role(?).

Sounds like you're nearing the end, so keep your chin up figuratively (to be optimistic) and literally (keep that neck taught. It's cheaper than surgery!). Hopefully it all works out well for you. Good luck.

CAlingual

Re: I wouldn't recommend linguals

#3 Postby CAlingual » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Ok so the braces came off last night. I was in the chair for 2 and half hours and it was brutal.
As soon as they pulled off the brackets my gums started bleeding. Then came the removal of the composite bonding and there was alot. It was quite painful so they sprayed some antiseptic spray in which wasn't nice either. While removing the bonding I was constantly soaked with water. By the end I was shaking, bleeding and so tired.
When it was finally over they took impressions for my retainer and attached the bonded wire for my front teeth.
Then when I got up I had massive foot cramps.
Came home feeling rough. This morning my gums are still sore and swollen.
I didn't realise the removal would be so horrific. Absolutely never doing anything like that again.
On the plus side teeth are looking good. I will wear my plastic retainer every night forever.

Return to “Lingual Braces”