Tooth extraction and getting scared!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NinaR

Tooth extraction and getting scared!

#1 Post by NinaR »

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and am hoping to gain from your wisdom!

I've had my lingual braces on for 6 weeks and all going fine. I really like my orthodontist and have a lot of confidence in him but think this has meant I probably haven't asked enough questions.

I'm having four teeth removed and am starting to panic after reading horror stories about facial collapse that make it sound like this is inevitable after extractions! My authodontist hasn't mentioned anything to me about changes to my facial structure and I'm worried I should have asked more before going ahead. I've had two of the teeth out already and the gaps look big - I don't want my chin to suddenly get really weak (is that even possible from tooth extraction??!). I do have a big overjet (6mm) and crowding that has led to my lower teeth crossing over each other.

Anyway I was hoping to hear from anyone who has had a positive experience with tooth extraction to try and calm my fears. And hopefully I can help anyone else along the rest of my braces experience!

Thank you so much!

ricedoll

Re: Tooth extraction and getting scared!

#2 Post by ricedoll »

Hi Nina,
Don't be scared! I just got my lower lateral incisor removed!! No pain before, during and after! I was surprised it was fast and easy.
Will be having my 3M incognito fitted on the 9th (lower) and then 12th (upper)! I have mild underjet and hopefully the tooth extraction and lingual braces can correct things!
Just trust your dentist or research about him/her to make you feel safe and confident with the treatment.

Fifil22

#3 Post by Fifil22 »

Hi. I just got 2 teeth extracted for the linguals on the upper teeth and it was not too painful. Just follow the dentists instructions after extraction-no smoking alcohol and straws for a few days to allow the clot to form well and a pain medication. I'm no expert on facial symmetry etc however Google Dr Greg Jorgensen he has a blog where he touches on why some cases it's necessary to extract teeth.
Good luck and remember to always make your ortho accountable in answering all your questions. It is your absolute right.

IncognitoChris

#4 Post by IncognitoChris »

Hi,

As others have stated the actual tooth extraction is very quick in most cases, and painless.

However, if you have any doubts at all. I really recommend speaking to your ortho as to why he feels he needs to take 4 teeth out. The Orthos answers should put you at ease, but if you are still not sure get a second opinion.