Reverse pull headgear and glasses?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

momnipotent

Reverse pull headgear and glasses?

#1 Post by momnipotent »

Hi - my 8 year old just received her reverse pull headgear on Thursday and we can't figure out now how to have her wear the headgear with her eyeglasses. She had forgotten to bring them to the ortho on Thursday and we had simply forgotten to ask about how to wear glasses. She has the kind of headgear with the wires framing her face with another wire across to attach the elastics to, not the kind with the wire in the midline of her face. Ortho office has been closed Friday and reopens Monday. I guess it's not urgent, but I would like to know - maybe we need to go back to get her refitted?

momnipotent

Re: Reverse pull headgear and glasses?

#2 Post by momnipotent »

OK, answering this myself just in case there are others out there who apparently cannot connect the dots either. I took my daughter back to the ortho and apparently, you just put the headgear on over your glasses. If you try to put your glasses on after you put on your headgear, it may not work. It was that obvious! I thought we'd tried it that way and it didn't work, but when we got there it fit perfectly. Oops.

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

Poor girl. Hope she only has to wear it at night. When I went in with myself and my two older boys, we had the ortho take a quick look at my 8 yr old daughter, and said they could clean some things up with headgear. But we decided to wait.

OF
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

momnipotent

#4 Post by momnipotent »

Thanks. She has a crossbite (underbite?) and goofy looking teeth so they felt the sooner it was taken care of, the better! I often wonder what a 2nd opinion would have amounted to as my friend was told by her daughter's dentist to wait until more adult teeth came in... Is there that much of a difference in philosophies among dentists and orthodontists?

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I can't answer on the headgear either however I know that with my eldest daughter they wanted to get started sooner rather than later. She was put in a removable plate for 18 months, then had a 12 month break then braces were put on once all her adult teeth were in. We saw 2 ortho's for her and both wanted to wait until all adult teeth were in.

I think it depends on the problem as to whether they'd rather fix it early or later.