When should kids see the ortho?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph in Sac

When should kids see the ortho?

#1 Post by Steph in Sac »

I am going to ask my own ortho tommorow, but I'm just seeing what you've heard. I've heard 7, but my dentist said wait until all of her baby teeth are out and permanent are in--which obviously would be teen years. She is already showing signs of crowding because a permanent tooth is knocking out a neighboring baby tooth that shouldn't be out until age 9-11 to make room.

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

Definitely by 7.
If you wait until all the permanent teeth are in you may have lost valuable time for expansion and other techniques that utilize growth.

Many situations are easy to correct early. If those situations are left untreated it can be far more difficult to correct the,
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Bekah

#3 Post by Bekah »

My daughter started being screened at 7! She is 8 now and will be getting an expander soon. There are alot of things that can be done to help before the braces go on! My son has spacers in his mouth to keep spaces from closing too!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

alimommy1

#4 Post by alimommy1 »

My dentist said by age 6 or earlier if you notice problems with their bite OR they lose any teeth early (trauma, accident, early removal) etc. I'm not sure if every ped dentist or general dentist does a pan-x but without it he wouldn't have referred me to an ortho for her and I probably would have waited instead of being able to plan ahead.

alimommy1

#5 Post by alimommy1 »

My dentist said by age 6 or earlier if you notice problems with their bite OR they lose any teeth early (trauma, accident, early removal) etc. I'm not sure if every ped dentist or general dentist does a pan-x but without it he wouldn't have referred me to an ortho for her and I probably would have waited instead of being able to plan ahead.

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

My son has been screened by the ortho since he was 10. I would have brought him in sooner, but he started loosing teeth very late. He lost his first tooth at 7 1/2.

We just started treatment yesterday. I hope we have an easy time over the next 21 months....

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Steph in Sac

#7 Post by Steph in Sac »

I took her in last week (7 1/2) and I'm glad I did. The ortho did a panoramic x-ray and things aren't nearly as bad as I suspected! Yahoo! She will likely need a removable upper retainer within the next year to correct a slight cross-bite. All other teeth are positioned to come in well, but he will watch as they come in just in case.

kblake1

#8 Post by kblake1 »

Wow.. I'm a spammer and me and my entire country of the Philippines have been banned by the admin!