12 year molers - surgery - braces

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

jana

12 year molers - surgery - braces

#1 Post by jana »

My daughter is almost 13 yrs old has braces, it will be 24 months in about 4 months. The Orthodontis showed me her xray, her 12 year molers (4 of them top and bottom) are not coming in. He said the aggressive approach is to have oral surgery, hook up the wire, and basically pull them in to place. We did that already with one other tooth in the beginning. I know she is 13, but she is a small girl, not finished growing, she is always smaller than her peers. I just don't like the idea of oral surgery again, 4 teeth, etc. Should I get a second opinion? He said I can decide, we don't have to do anything. He would like to move on. She will have to wear the braces longer, than July 2009....I don't know, what is the best thing to do.....Thanks. :roll:

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

I would ask what are all the risks and benefits of either the surgery or of waiting to let them come in on their own (besides more time in braces). One possibility might be wait six months or so and re-evaluate. Also I think it's important to consult your daughter in this decision. She may be more compliant with treatment if you give her an opportunity to weigh in.

I am an adult who had 3 oral surgeries as an adolescent to remove baby canines and baby premolars that weren't coming out (12 teeth total, 4 each time) during ages 11-12 where I was put out with general anesthesia. Once the baby teeth were out these adult teeth came in on their own and I got braces at 14. I found healing from the surgeries pretty traumatic as a kid, (although much better than impacted wisdom teeth surgery I had at 18 :evil:). In retrospect I resented that orthodontia was forced on me and I did not have a choice in the matter. I felt like I was being tortured and did not understand the purpose of treatment. I think it's important to explain as much as possible to kids and teens and involve them in decision-making processes according to their maturity level.

If as an adolescent I had been faced with your daughter's situation I expect I would have rather worn braces longer than had surgery, all else being equal.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom