Damon or Regular Braces?

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

texanproud69

Re: Damon or Regular Braces?

#16 Postby texanproud69 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 am

Thx Jill:) the more I talk to people the more I think I want to go with the Damon's. I'm still in the process to see cost wise to ortho. And yes, it's going to be to a challenge, but that is why we want to do it together so the other doesn't chicken out and have someone to compare it to. I'm very excited! It will be in the next few weeks and I will update periodically as to what and how.

Person12345

#17 Postby Person12345 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 pm

:tingrin: First off, if you have two contrasting opinions from orthodontists you may want to find a third orthodontist and see what the consensus on the extractions seems to be. Extractions should be avoided if possible because they are painful and tend to impact facial structure.

Regarding self-litigating (i.e. Damon System) versus traditional brackets, the type of bracket generally has no effect on the results of the treatment. This makes a lot of sense, since the brackets themselves do not move the teeth, but rather are only there as a means of attaching the wire to the teeth. The wire is the structure which actually moves the teeth into place.

The Damon System has a brilliant marketing campaign, but you should speak with licensed orthodontists to find out how much of it is true and how much of it is advertising technique. Be aware that promotional material for the Damon System does not actually cite any studies or medical publications.

Here's a source I found that explains this more in-depth: http://tdrortho.com/deciphering-the-tru ... ng-braces/

SingleJawMelb

#18 Postby SingleJawMelb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks for this I thought the Damon was a fantastic new product... its clearly marketing.

Return to “Parents of Kids in Braces”